No announcement yet.

Routing Issue?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing Issue?

I am having an absolute nightmare with my Exchange 2003 server.

We purchased a new server and I followed the instructions on Technet to the letter to migrate Exchange onto this. The two servers have been running together for the last few weeks and everything seemed to have replicated onto the new server.

Yesterday, one of the drives in the old server started to fail, so I had to remove the old server sooner than I had hoped and worked late. Before I uninstalled Exchange on the old server, I dropped all the Exchange services and made sure everything worked. It all seemed fine.

Today however, we have had a problem where when a user tries to send an internal email to any of a number of accounts, Exchange tries to route the message externally. These messages remain the queue for a time and then an NDR is returned saying that the email doesn't exist in the organisation.

I really don't know what the issue could be here - I have checked everything I can think of.

I don't know if the issue is related to the fact that we have two internal email domains in use - one is used for external main and the other is the AD organisation. All users have an address in each of these domains.

I'm not even sure if I missed a setting from the old server, or if this is even an AD problem (as the old server was a DC as well - though it was demoted cleanly).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Routing Issue?

The usual cause for this is a smart host set on the SMTP virtual server. You should ensure that there are no smart hosts set there.
    Next - ensure that any SMTP connectors are configured correctly, with the valid server listed as the bridgehead.

Did you uninstall Exchange correctly, using add/remove programs? No prompts?

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Routing Issue?

Thanks for the reply.

I have one smarthost set up on the Internet Mail connector which points to our Linux mail relay.

I followed the instructions in to the letter, and Exchange uninstalled cleanly.

I have got around the issue by recreating a few groups and moving email addresses around. Not ideal, but it has worked in the short term - I do still need to find out what the issue is.