No announcement yet.

Two Mail server is it possible?????

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Mail server is it possible?????

Hi there,

We have a situation here, One windows 2000 (active directory), with 200 users. One exchange 2000 server just wants 40 users accounts to be created on it, the rest the company wants to have it on linux/unix mail server.
    Which means that there will be 2 mail server in one domain for 400 users. We have one public IP address thru which we get all our mails.

Can anyone suggest how to set up the mail servers so that only 40 mail accounts are created in exchange and the rest 360 accounts are created in winodws active directory, but the mail boxes to be created in other platform.

Help will be appreciated

This setup could be problematic if you're using the same domain name for all users, because the Exchange server will not know how to route the mail to the rest of the users. Their mailboxes are on the same domain, but the Exchange server has no way to route the mail to them, because it cannot use the default routing engine to the non-Exchange server, and neither can use an SMTP Connector because it's the same domain.

The only way I think might work is to not use SMTP addresses at all on the Exchange server and only use X400 instead, then create an SMTP connector to the other server with the domain name. However this way I'm not sure that the users on the Exchange will be able to send and receive Internet mail.

If I were you I'd go back to the drawing boards.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services