Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would i setup Exchange to share Contacts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would i setup Exchange to share Contacts?

Hi

Im running SBS 2003 with 3 desktops. The setup at the moment is a mess.

2 desktops are connected to the server (which is not conneced to the internet) running Outlook 2000, for internal email and storing contact information. The other dekstop is not connected to the server network, it is standalone connected to the internet. This desktop is running Outlook 2003 and has a large .pst folder (around 700mb of emails and contacts).

I want to set it all up properly (ie, server network connected to the internet, all desktops on the network running Outlook 2003). I want each user to have their own .pst stored safely on the server (easy enough), but i want to only have one "master list" of contacts that everyone can use and update (stored on the server) - avoiding the situation at the moment with various Outlook 200 .pab files and Outlook 2003 .pst files.

I want it to be really user freindly (users arent very computer literate), so you just click new message and the contact list is there, and if you should need to update any contact information, you just click contacts, update details, save and close.

How should i go about doing this?

Cheers for any help.

Re: How would i setup Exchange to share Contacts?

The first thing you need to drop is the PST stored on the server. PST files stored on a network location is not a supported scenario and will result in the file being corrupted. Exchange isn't designed to work in that way.

What you should be doing is importing all the email in the PST file in to the mailbox and then configuring Outlook 2003 (which you are licensed for) to use cached mode.

You will also need to configure the SBS server correctly, using the wizards, to manage all email. As soon as you add the workstations to the server the clients will use Exchange for email delivery. While you can try and stop that from happening, you are on a losing battle as SBS is designed to work in one way.

As for your main question regarding the contacts - there isn't any straight forward way of doing all that you want. Exhcange isn't a CRM. You can do things with a public folders and making changes to the client to use that public folder. http://exchange.sembee.info/2003/pub...ontactlist.asp
    However you cannot replace the default Contacts folder in the clients, so they will be using two contacts folders.

Simon.
    Last edited by Sembee; 16th August 2011, 09:54. Reason: URL Correction
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Create a new user for the standalone PC. Import the pst into exchange so all users are connected to the server and you can get rid of all PST files then. Upgrade everyone to Outlook 2003 (I believe you do get the licenses with SBS 2003).
      Setup cached mode email so you have an additional recovery option (this does use hdd space for the users though so watch out if you have little free space.
      Once completed create a public folder contacts list with edit rights for all the users (or however you want) and then tick the box to show it as an address book. This means the users will see it as an address list and can resolve names.

Finally make sure you are backing up everything!

EDIT: Too slow!
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Sembee - Typing without thinking there. There arent any .pst files on the server, just the regular exchange setup (MAPI is it?) with the two desktops (apart from there running Outlook 2000). They are allready running through Exchange OK.

I have noticed an archive.pst stored in the documents and settings of the two desktop computers. Is this right, or should Exchange manage arcives as well?

AndyJG247 - By import, do you mean drag and drop from one mailbox to another?
        I think that tick as address book is a keypoint, and looking at Outlook 2000 atleast i can set that to be displayed first.

Just another question, can someone explain to me, or point to an explanation of the differnt address books / ways to store contacts. I see refernces in Outlook to "Global Address List", "All Address Lists", "Outlook Address Book", "Public Folders" (well i know that one), "Personal Address Book"...

When do you use which?!

Thanks for the help

Comment

Once you have setup a mailbox you can just import the pst either using exmerge or more easily just use import through outlook. I.E. just open the new mailbox and choose File / Import / PST and it will copy everything for you.

Archives are stored on local machines and not in Exchange therefore it is best to at least keep them on the server so they are backed up, but better to either not use them or make sure your users know they aren't backed up and are at their own risk.

Address books, not sure of the history but some are legacy and have just been carried forward.
          The GAL or global address list is by default every user in the exchange org so you would expect to see all of your internal users in it.
          You can create additional address lists (Ex 07 for example has "All Rooms" for example). So all of these would show under the "All Address Lists".
          I'm sure others here will be able to give you a better description though.
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

Thanks for the help.

So, just to clarifty on the archive files. I understand Exchange doesnt manage them, but you say you can store them on the server? How is that when they are a .pst file, and .pst files are unsupported over network locations? Or are you saying just store them there (ie they cant be accessed?!)

Another question (sorry they keep on coming!) what about the laptop we have? How will it receive emails once its away from the office? VPN or OWA?

Thanks again

Comment

You can store a BACKUP of a PST file on the server... but don't ever use one from Outlook which is not local - i.e. on a physical disk fitted to the machine running Outlook. It's a huge risk and will bite you HARD if the pst file ever exceeds about 200Mb.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sorry, yes, it was badly worded. Archived PSTs are not usually used day to day so as
                Stonelaughter says they should only be backups or long term storage.

There are many options with Exchange 2003 for remote email. You could use OWA (very good), IMAP/POP3 (not a great idea) or probably best of all RPC/HTTPS where outlook can connect to Exchange securely over the internet and can be used pretty much the same way as in the office.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

This is the Microsoft position on PST files on the network:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=297019

More on the same subject:
                  http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...n-t-do-it.aspx

I would recommend that PST files are avoided at all costs, even archive PSTs.

Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So concerning archive files, you're saying i should either:
                    1. Leave them as they are.
                    2. Leave them on the local client machine, but copy / backup to server when required.
                    3. Disable them completely.

Im tempted by the third option to get rid of .pst's completely.

As for remote access to emails, do OWA or RPC/HTTPS require any additional software than what allready comes with SBS2003 (SSL certificates maybe?)

Comment

Well you don't need a certificate but it makes things much more secure and is definitely the way to go.

I would find out how big the pst files you have on peoples machines are and then decide what you want to do. If they are minimal you could just import them back into their mailboxes. If we are talking about substantial sizes then we need to understand what the users require.

SBS2003 and Outlook 2003 support RPC/HTTPS so aside from the certificate (and a bit of config) you won't need anything else.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

For archive purposes, products like Enterprise KVault make management of archived email really easy from the admin side, and almost transparent from the user side. Emails are still presented in the user's inbox, after archiving, but with an extra icon next to them to show that they are archived. Double-clicking the email opens it as if it were there; it's just a bit slower. Not sure of the cost, but certainly in large infrastructures it's well worthwhile.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Is Enterprise KVault now called Enterprise Vault or am I confused?
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

Well, we're still using KVault and I think it's the current version; Vault sounds like it's a backup solution maybe?

Tom

Comment

EV is the symantec archive software, just wondering really.
                              cheers
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X