POP3 problem in Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 problem in Exchange 2003

I have single Exchange server 2003 STD edition with SP2 running on Windows server 2003 STD edition.

Problem: Not able to send mails when configured account as POP3 from outside world in Outlook/Outlook express/mobile device other than windows mobile.

Description: I have single Exchange 2003 STD edition with SP2 running on Windows Server 2003 STD edition wih SP2. I enabled POP3 service on exchange, opened POP3 port in my Cisco PIX. Configured my e-mail on my mobile device as POP3 service. I sucessfuly received all e-mails. But failed sending e-mail to my company ID or even to any 3rd party ID like GMAIL etc.

I did search over Google. Also went through articles submitted here. But no similar thread I found to get resolution on my problem.

What could be the problem?
    I am able to receive mails but not able to send when configured my server as POP3 server from outside world.
    My exchange server is not smart host yet. [ I found 1 TechNet article which describes about enabling Exchange server as SMART HOST.]
    I am little confused.
    If I enable my SMTP virtual server as SMART HOST, I am going to put internal domain name in it or I am going to put the registered domain name which I use as my e-mail ID ? Like > [email protected]mycompany.com In my case I'll have to add mycompany.com as SMART host ?

And yes 1 more confusion as never configured POP3.
    Is it required to put POP3 wording format while configuring exchange as a smart host or configuring my exchange account in Outlook/Outlook express as POP3 server ?

Like we do for GMAIL , we add POP3 or POP prefix. Confused !!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx > Just found this link. Adding 1 more SMTP connector and making my Exchange smart host will solve the problem ?

Any help?

Regards,
    Amey.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sco1984; 5th April 2008, 04:48.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: POP3 problem in Exchange 2003

Sending email by the client or the server always requires SMTP. POP3 is for receiving email and has no mechanism or facility for sending email. In order for your mobile device to send email you'll need to allow inbound SMTP to your Exchange server on your PIX firewall. You'll then need to configure the SMTP virtual server on your Exchange server in order to send email to other domains (either directly or through a smart host. You'll also need the same SMTP rule on your PIX in order to receive email from external domains to your Exchange server.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Sending email by the client or the server always requires SMTP. POP3 is for receiving email and has no mechanism or facility for sending email. In order for your mobile device to send email you'll need to allow inbound SMTP to your Exchange server on your PIX firewall. You'll then need to configure the SMTP virtual server on your Exchange server in order to send email to other domains (either directly or through a smart host. You'll also need the same SMTP rule on your PIX in order to receive email from external domains to your Exchange server.
      Yes it'll use my SMTP port. But I think I need to add "Routing Connector" in System Manager. My exchange server is already up and running and according to that entries are added in my PIX. Yesterday all I did is added POP3 port in allow ACL list.

I am able to receive e-mails on my mobile device.
      Also able to conifgure Outlook on a PC outside of my company. [ I configured my server as a POP3 server as my laptop connected outside my office LAN ]
      But unable to send e-mail from the configured account.

I did 1 more test i.e. configured GMAIL account in my handset and tried to send e-mail. Same problem. How ever I received all my GMAIL mails as well.

I am able to receive e-mails on my GMAIL account in my handset but not able to send. I never tried to write a e-mail from my GMAIL account from mobile device. I just got to know I neither can send mail from mobile device configured with GMAIL account too...

Some forum says we need to contact ISP. Strange !!

How ever I just checked and I am able to send e-mail from Outlook configured with my exchange as a POP3 outside of my company lan. Message deleivered to several receipients.

Confusion increasing ....

I tried using SonyEricsson Z710i handset and W800 series handset. in both handsets I used sim cards which are GPRS enabled and of different service provider.
      All in 1
      Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Sending email via your server from an external server has nothing to do with SMTP connectors, routing connectors, smart hosts or anything like that.

If you want to send email via your server then you need to simply enable authenticated in the device and point it at your server.

However trying to send email via your server over SMTP is unreliable as it gets blocked by ISPs, redirected etc. If you are just looking to send email from phones then use your mobile phone provider's email servers.

For other devices like laptops with Outlook Express then you will have to use a VPN for the most reliable connection.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
        X