No announcement yet.

2000 to 2007 - Uninstall Required?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 to 2007 - Uninstall Required?

I'm to the decommission stage of our 2000 to 2007 migration, and I'm wondering if uninstalling Exchange 2000 from our original, and previously only, Exchange server is really necessary.

Most guides, including MS's state that you uninstall Exchange 2000 from your previous mailserver.

This one, however, gives an alternative method:
    To remove the server from Active Directory, start Exchange System Manager and select the server object. Right-click the object, click All Tasks, and then click Remove Server. This will remove all references to the server in Active Directory, and remove the mailbox-enabling attributes from all Active Directory users with mailboxes on the removed server.
    If possible, I'd love to just remove the references by Right Click/Remove as stated in the quote and turn off the services when I'm done with the old server. Will this work OK?

Re: 2000 to 2007 - Uninstall Required?

Just wondering, why not simply uninstall the old server? Is there are reason for not doing it?

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Re: 2000 to 2007 - Uninstall Required?

I would never consider anything other than uninstalling the old server. While the process you have outlined should work, it is a bit of a hack, and if the old server is still alive then I wouldn't even consider it to save the 20 minutes or so it takes to remove Exchange 2000.

Unless you are planning to do that because you cannot find the Exchange 2000 media.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.