Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

    Hi,

    Comcast just blocked INBOUND port 25.
    I have a sbs 2003 server that sends outbound email perfectly through comcasts smarthost.

    Until this Friday I was receiving internet email directly to my sbs2003 server.

    My parents have a small company with a T1, and an Exchange 2003 servers.. I am NOT currently connected to that server via vpn or anything.

    My Q is
    Can I setup my parents exchange 2003 server to receive email for my domain and send it to me on a different port since they do not have port 25 blocked?

    Can it be done without a vpn?

    Thank you
    Scott

  • #2
    Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

    I'd say - call the ISP and get the port opened up
    ________
    Dodge tomahawk history
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:20.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

    BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

      Consider yourself lucky if you can get comcast to open port 25.............they want you to upgrade to a business account.

      Or you can get a port redirect service. Like here or here

      Personally I would be very interested to see exchange act as a relay for only one domain and on an alternate port
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

        They wont open it, and yes they want me to upgrade to a biz account.

        I won't do that. I like the mail reflectors. They look like an okay way to bypass the port blockage.

        What I really want to do is to stick an exchange 2007 edge transport on a network that has a real internet connection.

        Since the edge doesnt get joined to the domain. I figure it could accept internet email on the usual port 25. Then connect via connector to my network on a different port and deliver it there.

        SMTP can listen on any port you want. Its just the standard is port 25, so opening port 26 wont get you internet email because all the servers delivering mail expect 25.
        Last edited by mrbostn; 31st March 2008, 14:50.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

          Edge isn't designed to be completely standalone. While it will operate on another network it is not designed to work in the way that you are looking at doing. It still needs to communicate with the main Exchange org, it just goes through a smaller set of ports than a full domain member.

          It sounds like you just need an SMTP gateway. I have instructions on how to setup one of those on my web site: http://www.amset.info/exchange/gateway.asp

          Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

          Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

          Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

            You can also try setting up your exchange server so that it uses comcast's SMTP server as a smart server. I had to do this for a while when the IP I got from comcast was blacklisted.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

              I already do that. All my outbound email goes through their servers.

              I'm talking about incoming.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                Edge isn't designed to be completely standalone. While it will operate on another network it is not designed to work in the way that you are looking at doing. It still needs to communicate with the main Exchange org, it just goes through a smaller set of ports than a full domain member.

                It sounds like you just need an SMTP gateway. I have instructions on how to setup one of those on my web site: http://www.amset.info/exchange/gateway.asp

                Simon.
                Yeah I know Edge is not a standalone. I basically just would like to place Edge, or like you mentioned an SMTP gateway outside my network, and have it relay inbound email to me. I still could send outgoing through comcasts smarthosts.

                So can I place the smtp server on another network and not need a constant vpn to/from it?

                Thank you

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                  Originally posted by mrbostn View Post
                  Yeah I know Edge is not a standalone. I basically just would like to place Edge, or like you mentioned an SMTP gateway outside my network, and have it relay inbound email to me. I still could send outgoing through comcasts smarthosts.

                  So can I place the smtp server on another network and not need a constant vpn to/from it?

                  Thank you
                  The problem you are going to have is getting the traffic to your server. I personally would prefer a VPN to allow a successful connection. Another option would be to use the depreciated port of 465 and then use ETRN. I am almost positive that Windows 2003 can be a ETRN server for Exchange to pull email from.

                  Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

                  Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

                  Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                    yes it can be.

                    I'll look into that.

                    I know the vpn would be best.

                    Thanks for all the input.

                    smr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                      Oops didn't read that carefully. Maybe because I don't have a lot of traffic on mine, but I have a residential Comcast account and they haven't blocked port 25 on my account. I have read some success stories on dslreports of people getting the port unblocked without having to upgrade to a business account.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                        Yeah I called they said they weren't blocking it. They often confuse blocking outbound 25 with inbound 25...

                        You see if you're just using outlook to send email out through their servers they use port 587, so they can block port 25 without hurnting the regular users


                        Anyway, thats the story.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                          Originally posted by mrbostn View Post
                          Yeah I called they said they weren't blocking it. They often confuse blocking outbound 25 with inbound 25...

                          You see if you're just using outlook to send email out through their servers they use port 587, so they can block port 25 without hurnting the regular users


                          Anyway, thats the story.
                          so is inbound blocked or not? that was the problem in the first place
                          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                            Sorry, but it has to be said that if the ISP does not intend the account you are on to be a mailserver-enabled account, you should upgrade to biz.

                            Just because you can technically get around their port block, does not mean you will be allowed to host a mailserver - I'd advise reading their T&C to find out.

                            Let's respect our suppliers' different products and why they need to charge more for biz accounts.

                            I will now climb humbly down from my soapbox....
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.
                            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: INBOUND Port 25 just got blocked

                              Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                              Sorry, but it has to be said that if the ISP does not intend the account you are on to be a mailserver-enabled account, you should upgrade to biz.

                              Just because you can technically get around their port block, does not mean you will be allowed to host a mailserver - I'd advise reading their T&C to find out.

                              Let's respect our suppliers' different products and why they need to charge more for biz accounts.

                              I will now climb humbly down from my soapbox....
                              Nonsense. I know plenty of people (admittedly some of them are geeks) who host their own mail service without a business. Just because you have your own mail service doesn't mean you are a business at all - and I don't see therefore why that should be the criteria for providing or denying port 25 access.


                              Tom
                              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

                              Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X