Strange Connectivity problem to Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Connectivity problem to Exchange 2003

OK, my Exchange server generally runs really well and I am pleased with it. However, just recently I get very odd connection issues. It has happened 3 times now over the past 2 or 3 months. The first time I couldn't see any errors in logs or anything so just assumed it was a one off and after restarting the server all seemed well. Until just over a month later. And then again this morning, 2 weeks after last time.

I notice the issue first as I am actually using Entourage 2008 on a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.2. It simply looses connection to the Exchange server and will not reconnect. I am also using a Windows Mobile 6 based Phone to collect my emails and this also will no longer connect to exchange and finally OWA becomes unavailable. In fact no sites are available on the server, despite IIS saying that all is well. Outlook users can still connect and have no issues at all, as is the same for those who connect via pop3.

Hmm, thinking about it, maybe this is an IIS error rather than Exchange?

Anyway, I cant work this one out, hence me asking here! Any ideas guys as its starting to worry me now

Cheers,
    James.
    James
    MCP

Re: Strange Connectivity problem to Exchange 2003

Does the Exchange server have Broadcom NetXtreme II network cards?
    Take a look at the Pool Nonpaged Bytes memory counter, if it is over 100MB then that is what is causing the problem. The way to fix it is to turn off the TCPChimney function of the network card. You can set it by running "netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED" from a command prompt. Immediately after setting it you'll see the Pool Nonpaged Bytes counter drop to half of what it was. The problem is caused by the NIC driver not releasing memory because of the TCPChimney function. I had this problem and also saw another post about this yesterday.

Of course it could be something else altogether, but post back here with what you find regarding the Pool Nonpaged Bytes memory counter.

Also take a look at this article, posted on this forum by Sembee assisting someone else with an Exchange connectivity issue:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...18/446400.aspx
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 28th March 2008, 12:14.

Comment

The server has an Intel PRO/1000 MT Network Connection, according to Device manager.

However, the Pool Nonpaged Bytes memory counter, is indeed showing over 100MB. I'll have a read thru and try this out when I get back to the server.

Thanks for this and I'll let you know what happens.
      James
      MCP

Comment

OK. I knew for sure that the problem affected the Broadcom NetXtreme II network card, but it probably affects any card that has TCPChimney capability. BTW, I disabled all three settings referenced in the MSEXchange Blog article and haven't had a problem since. My Paged Nonpool Bytes has been at about 55 - 65MB now for the last two weeks.

Comment

ok, I did that but the Pool nonpaged didnt drop a huge amount, it is still over 100 but only just.

I then read more of that article and followed the KB 934878. This seems to have resolved the problems

Cheers for that!

I'll also follow the rest of the article to try and resolve fully, thanks again
          Last edited by swfblade; 28th March 2008, 13:31.
          James
          MCP

Comment

that TCPCHIMNEY as you call it is called TOE - TCP Offload Engine.

this feature is mainly used on iSCSI initiators to speed things up, anywhere else it's not needed really
            ________
            MARYJANE
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:19.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

ok, well this is going to require some more thought....

Over the weekend the server did it again, except this time there are multiple (and i mean MULTIPLE) errors in the Event Viewer. There are over 205 thousand events in there at the moment, going back to this Sunday (30th March). Most of them are as follows;

Source: MSExchangeAL
              Category: LDAP Operations
              Event ID: 8026

LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on Directory {exchange server}.{domain} for distinguished name ". Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.

There are then several other errors when other things are supposed to happen basically saying the same thing about the server not being available. I have had to restart the server just to get it going again, so am now wondering what all this is about. I haven't searched for any of this yet, just thought I'd post up first and get the ball rolling. Off to search now, but if anyone has any ideas....
              James
              MCP

Comment

well having researched all the errors, they all seemed to just point to the server not being to do anything. Having restarted now it actually seems ok and even the Pool Nonpaged bytes have gone right down to about 40meg.

I'll keep an eye on it and if there are any more problems I'll post up.

Thanks for the help
                James
                MCP

Comment

well it looks like it has happened again this morning, altho the error is slightly different. I now just get 'Waiting for network' on my Windows Phone and there are no errors in the log. Other errors are the same ie. OWA page not found (in fact all sites on the server are like that) and Entourage cannot connect. The nonpaged pool has gone right back up to 125meg as well.

I'll go thru those articles again and search the web to see if I can work it out but again, if anyone has any other ideas......
                  James
                  MCP

Comment

If it is a Pool nonpaged bytes issue you could create a performance monitor and add the Pool nonpaged bytes counter for every process to find the one that is consuming and running away with Pool nonpaged bytes. This will hopefully help you track down the culptrit.

Comment

Working...
                    X