emails delayed on weekends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emails delayed on weekends

im having some emails being delayed on the weekends...

the delay is longer than a few minutes. the email in question was sent Saturday at 1:37 PM, but the recipient didnt receive the message till 1:00 AM on Monday.

i dont have anything running during the time the message was sent, like a backup or defrags... i have a complete backup that starts at 3 AM every day. here is the report:
    Code:
    Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "FullMailstore.bkf created 3/25/2008 at 3:00 AM"

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
    Backup of "KAPPA\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
    Backup set #1 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 6/19/2007 at 10:37 AM"
    Media name: "FullMailstore.bkf created 3/25/2008 at 3:00 AM"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 3/25/2008 at 3:00 AM.
    Backup completed on 3/25/2008 at 4:44 AM.
    Directories: 4
    Files: 9
    Bytes: 62,609,990,032
    Time:  1 hour,  43 minutes, and  27 seconds

----------------------

Verify Status
    Operation: Verify After Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Active backup destination: X:\Move_to_Tape\FullMailstore.bkf

Verify of "KAPPA\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
    Backup set #1 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 6/19/2007 at 10:37 AM"
    Verify started on 3/25/2008 at 4:44 AM.
    Verify completed on 3/25/2008 at 5:21 AM.
    Directories: 4
    Files: 0
    Different: 0
    Bytes: 62,609,990,032
    Time:  37 minutes and  22 seconds
    ----------------------
    so it runs and is successful, and it only takes 2 hours and 21 minutes including verification.

this seems to happen only on the weekends.

can anyone suggest some reasons or things to check for that would slow this delivery down? i didnt get any complaints till today, so its a little late to check what was happening now...

what would you guys suggest i set up to watch the flow this weekend?

yes, message tracking is enabled, and im sorting thru it now. if there is anything interesting, i will slap it in this thread.

thanks guys.
    James
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: emails delayed on weekends

Message tracking should tell you when the message was sent out of your server. The SMTP log will tell you as well. This will allow you to focus your investigation on your server if in fact the email was delayed in being sent out by your server. If the email left your server promptly then there's little to nothing you can do as the problem will be on the recipient's side of the equation. I often get support calls regarding emails being sent or received and usually can only tell the user when the email came in to or left our server. 99.999% of the time the problem is on the sender or recipient side rather than our side.

Comment

i have been fishing thru the message tracking reports and i notice that everything is done in GMT time... what gives?

is it supposed to be in GMT? i am in EST, and the server is on EST, and the recipients are in EST also... so why doesnt the time read in EST? can i change that?

anyways, here is the section that concerns the message in question. im trying to chop out the multiple recipients for ease of reading:
      Code:
      2008-3-22	17:13:5 GMT	192.168.5.200	mail1.***.com	-	KAPPA	192.168.5.30	[email protected]***.com	1019	[email protected]###.net	0	0	1336	1	2008-3-22 17:13:5 GMT	0	Version: 6.0.3790.3959	-	 Data Extract Completed!!! 	[email protected]###.net	-
      the way i read that is that Jill received an email from [email protected]###.net @ 2008-3-22 17:13:5 GMT. is that how you guys read it?

in poking around, i think i have figured out why the messages are being delayed... but maybe you guys can gimme your take on it...
      the person in question uses a Blackberry with the forwarding service to reply to some messages. i think the messages are being held up on their end, but im not sure.
      anyone have any problems with Blackberry messages?

thanks again guys,
      James

***EDIT***

Yeah, joeqwerty, that is what its looking like. i think the messages are leaving our org in the proper time frame. the logs dont really tell you much after they leave here... but it does look like its not us. i just have never had to track messages before, as everything is on point in my org. i just find it fishy that the 2 times this has happened it was with a user that had a blackberry, and it was from a message that originated from a blackberry. i dont have these problems with my windows mobile device, as it is a direct connection to the server. the blackberry, on the other hand, is a forwarding service... that doesnt seem to be forwarding correctly. it doesnt happen all the time. the last occasion was about a month ago... the same user.
      Last edited by James Haynes; 25th March 2008, 16:17.

Comment

try to connect to the server on a weekend using telnet and send an email. if everything is fast, the problem is not on your end of things for sure
        ________
        MAGIC FLIGHT
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:18.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Unfortunately the logs are in GMT, I'm not sure if it can be changed as I never looked into it. I always keep a time conversion web site handy for this purpose. As for the Blackberry, the message has to go from the BB over the handheld carrier network (Verizon, etc.), then through the RIM network, then through your Exchange server, and finally to the recipients server so there are a lot of points for delay.

Comment

Exchange logs everything in UTC (NOT GMT, although they are the same). Always has done. Then Exchange adjusts the display.

Do you route email via your ISP or send it directly by SMTP?
            Do you have an SMTP connector in place?

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Yes, I forgot that it's now UTC (since 1972) and not GMT for you technically minded, always have to be precise folks. LOL.

Here's a wikipedia article for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utc

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                Exchange logs everything in UTC (NOT GMT, although they are the same). Always has done. Then Exchange adjusts the display.

Do you route email via your ISP or send it directly by SMTP?
                Do you have an SMTP connector in place?

Simon.
                we send directly via smtp.

yes, i have a connector. there are two mail gateways the connector points to. i think the second gateway is where the problem lies.

all the messages leave to the gateways in time, but the delivery outside them is fuct. i am getting up to date on using the ironport right now, as i leave it to my network team since it is an appliance. it is now becoming more important that i have access to this box also...

right now, mail flow is disable thru the second gateway. were gonna see what happens this weekend. the second gateway is at the DR facility, so it may be some kinda connectivity issues. i dunno yet, but will post back if anything cool happens.

thanks guys. im giving some karma now and you can consider this thread squash.

Comment

Working...
                X