Creating email mailboxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating email mailboxes

having no experience of Exchange 2003, I am coming to you for help.

I have, after painful days, configured my AD/DC server.
    I also have a domain (website.co.uk, example)

The Full DNS name of the server is website.local

I have created a user account: [email protected]l, but how can I Create it so that it has the website.co.uk domain for that alias?

Re: Creating email mailboxes

You should set a recipient policy to have @website.co.uk as the primary SMTP address. To do this, launch Exchange System Manager (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange > System Manager) and drill down to Recipients > Recipient Policies then right click the Default Policy and select Properties.

On the Email Addresses tab, clcik the New button then select SMTP address from the types listed. In the Address box, type @website.co.uk then click OK. In the list of policies, highlight it and click the "Set as primary" button.

Then, all new and existing users should have the email address [email protected] as the primary SMTP email address (in bold) and [email protected]l as a secondary (not in bold) email address. It may take a long while to take effect, but you can hurry it along by right clicking that Default Policy and selecting "Apply now". Even so, it is not instant - you have to be patient.

In Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC), select a user that has a mailbox and verify that he does now have a primary (in bold) email address at website.co.uk - also note the tickbox on the user's Email Addresses tab in his user properties, that says "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" - think about what this tickbox does.

The above instructions are about setting up email addresses for all your domain users correctly - even ones that soemone wil add in the future, but if you want to setup just one user, go to his email addresses tab on his user properties (in ADUC) and you can add a single SMTP address there for him. You can also choose which one is to be set as primary and it will show in bold.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

thank-you so much! I was tinkering about earlier after i posted and seemed to have configured it correctly but you confirmed what I did was right! woohoo. Thanks alot

Now, is it possible to create POP3 email accounts? IF so, how? And what do I need to do to my domain name so it can send/recieve emails?

It is all set up, pointing to an IP Address, which is running my website. Has the correct DNS Entries

Comment

Are you using SBS2003 or not?

I may be misunderstanding your question about POP3 but I assume you want to fetch email from POP3 accounts that are hosted by an ISP, and have email in those pop boxes waiting to be fetched in the way that Outlook Express would do, for example. You can get the email from those POP boxes and put it into your Exchange server mailboxes:

In SBS2003 there is a component called the POP3 Downloader. I can help you with that. When the POP3 downloader is setup, it will fetch emails from one or more POP boxes and deliver them to your Exchange users - it will put the POP mail that it has downoaded into their Exchange mailboxes.

The "proper" way to get email into your system (it should already be able to send email) would be to have an MX record which points to an A record which points to your router's fixed public IP address. Make sure it is a fixed public IP first. Also your router has to open port 25 or port forward port 25 to your email server.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

im using WS2003 EE R2 + all updates.... whats the story with this?

I want to now, create POP3 accounts for users.... instead of exchange accounts. (im just experiencing both)
          I don't have an ISP (just a hoster) but want to make my DC/AD computer an email server also. So I can create a POP3 email account, and have outlook connect to it and send/recieve emails.

what is the process of configuring this, and the domain name?
          Last edited by firehawk; 16th March 2008, 23:10.

Comment

Hi,

For Exchange 2003 (when it does not come with SBS) you have to buy a POP downloader to get email from a POP box. So the better way is the MX record way.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "create POP acounts for users" - do you mean you want their Outlook client to download the email from Exchange rather than have email stay in their Exchange Mailbox? If this is what you mean, my advice is DO NOT. Stick with Exchange mailboxes.

If however you mean that your email is stored in POP boxes at your host ready for downoading by Exchange, you will have to get a POP downloader - this component comes built in with SBS but not Exchange on its own.

"Grown Up" Exchange does not have a POP downloader because it is considered that the administrator of the server wil be using an MX record to deliver email directly to port 25 of the mailserver, and that he will not have any use for POP boxes at all.

POP boxes are entry level - aimed at very small companies - you probably want to do things the "proper" way. We have companies of even 10 users who have MX records rather than using POP.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Also see http://forums.petri.com/archive/index.php/t-1496.html which is about changing Exchange and making it a POP server - but my advice is still don't do it that way.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

hmmm im confused.

So, is there no way of creating a POP3 based system within Windows, or Exchange Server?

Basically, instead of using Exchange Server, I want to now create POP3 accounts in Windows (or Exchange, whichever way it works) for users.

So say I have a user called "Bob". I want "Bob" to have an email account (POP3) called: [email protected]

I then want bob's email client, outlook 2003/2007, to be able to connect to this POP3 email account which will store, recieve and send emails.

How can I do? And what exactly do I need to do to configure the domain?
                I have transferred my domain to my hoster, so they can set up the domain however I tell them to do so. That's not a problem

At the end of the day, all I want is to set up an email system, POP3, for users so they can connect to it via outlook, send and recieve email without the Exchange email accounts, running on WS2003 EE.

I know I was originally asking for Exchange stuff, but now slightly drifted off (which I do apologise) - but just trying to learn all this for my benefit and knowledge as well as actually setting up the email system for my domain.

I then want to eventually add on top of that, email filters (junk email filters) on POP3 service (is this possible?)

another OT question: in outlook 2003/2007, you can only connect to 1 exchange account right? you can't connect to multiple exchange email accounts?
                Last edited by firehawk; 16th March 2008, 23:26.

Comment

Yes, you can setup Exchange as a POP server. But doing that is a backward step, really. That link I posted for an old Petri Forum thread explains how to do it if you really want. But if you do it "properly", you get centralised email, which can be backed up, and which can be used offsite through Outlook Web Access (I know we're drifting off topic here a bit - but the advantages of Exchange when used as designed over going back to POP are considerable.) You also get shared calendars and address books, when using Exchange as designed.

Try to get away from POP - you will appreciate the benefits in time to come. But of course if you really want to use Exchange as POP server, that link will help you out.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.

Comment

yes i completely understand what you mean, shared calenders and web access etc...

ok im confused, perhaps you can clear my mind up.

Basically I have multiple email address in a domain for myself (organisation, going through right channels etc.. etc..)

so say I will have personal email address, a feedback email address, admin address etc... and doing this in POP3 is easy.

Doing it in exchange, well, im not so sure that I Can do this because outlook 2003/2007 will allow you to only connect to 1 exchange server and 1 email address at any one time, so you cant have multiple email accounts to send/recieve email when connected to exchange, as with POP3, you can.

Am I correct? or is there a way of doing this, so that I can use Exchange normally and have my outlook client use multiple email addresses on that 1 exchange server?

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
                      ... outlook 2003/2007 will allow you to only connect to 1 exchange server and 1 email address at any one time,...
                      Half true. Outlook can connect to one Exchange server, but on that Exchange server he can have many email addresses.

Go back to my first post where I mentioned how to add a new SMTP address to a user (or to the whole domain). Where I talked about the whole domain, that would be the basic email address pattern for everyone. But you can add many new addresses, in their "Email Addresses" tab in ADUC, and so you can have:

[email protected]
                      [email protected]
                      [email protected] << this one can be set as primary, probably.
                      [email protected]

All the above SMTP addresses can co-exist on Bob's account.

Sorry if I confused you earlier...
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

AH!!! Interesting my friend

so your saying that if "bob" has multiple email addresses, and I have connected my outlook client to exchange....that if someone sends emails to all 4 email addresses, that it will automatically be downloaded/recieved to my outlook client/email inbox?

in addition, would I be able to send emails through DIFFERENT email accounts on bob's account?

if so - we are in business my friend....I then need to ask you (unfortunately) more questions on setting up exchange correctly.....

Comment

Well, you're very nearly there: Yes all those emails will come into Bob's mailbox and he will see emails to [email protected] as well as emails to [email protected] and all the others too in his Outlook inbox, no problem.

What he can't do out-of-the-box is send an email "from" all those different email addresses, the outgoing mail will allways seem to come from "Bob", unless you do a bit of hunting around (there are some conversations in this forum about sending from multiple email addresses/accounts) so I won't repeat their content or conclusions here.

For today, though, it's past my bedtime! So do a bit of reading & Googling and see if you can find those threads about sending from mutiple email accounts, and do a search on this Petri forum's homepage for setting up Exchange - some fabulous articles are here! G'night for now.
                          Best wishes,
                          PaulH.

Comment

sure no worries. Thanks alot for your valuable time and help, really appreciate it and have learnt alot

good night...until next time

Comment

Now to figure out how to use multiple email address to send FROM the 1 user...
                              Last edited by firehawk; 17th March 2008, 03:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X