No announcement yet.

What's the Address Space setting in an SMTP connector (was: Address Space)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Address Space setting in an SMTP connector (was: Address Space)

Can someone please tell me what the function is of an address space in exchange 2003.

Under small business smtp connector->properties->address space.

I need to know if this will be usefull for our setup, as we are experiencing non-delivery of email.

I searched the internet, but nothing was of real value, with regards to this topic.

Re: Address Space

Take a look at the following article:

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Address Space

On the SMTP connector it controls what domains the connector is used for. By default it will be * which basically means all outbound email.

You can add additional SMTP connectors and then add domains to that list. So for example if you wanted to route email for via your ISPs SMTP server then you would create another connector, remove the * and put in You would also adjust the cost so that Exchange tries the domain specific connectors.

Alternatively you could reconfigure the SMTP connector to send all email via your ISPs SMTP server.

However as this is SBS you shouldn't make changes manually, you should use the Internet and Email Connection wizard.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: What's the Address Space setting in an SMTP connector (was: Address Space)

In that address space tab , you can set the internet domain names with cost settings. Like default "*" it means that you are telling your SMTP server to send the mail to all the internet domains.

if you want you can restrict the SMTP communication to only one domain like "". If you put like this your SMTP connector only send mail to