No announcement yet.

exchange 2000 server to join 2003 domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange 2000 server to join 2003 domain

have a 2000 exchange server windows 2000 server computer that needs to change it's domain name and join a 2003 exchange 2003 server domain.
    also want to link exchange servers so that mail is routed to 2000 exchange server for some users.

so 1st i have to change the domain name and retain all mailboxes etc. then run adprep then join the 2003 domain and then (last but not least) link the two exchange servers.

am i dreaming ? is this even possible ?

will pay fee for this solution.

Re: exchange 2000 server to join 2003 domain

What you want to do is not possible.
    You cannot take an Exchange server from one domain and move it to another one. It just doesn't work. Exchange is very closely tied to the domain that is is a member of.

You will need to remove all content and then remove Exchange. The machine can then be moved to the new domain and Exchange reinstalled. Although my preference would be to remove all content and wipe the machine.

Changing the domain where Exchange is involved is not something is recommended at all, neither is installing Exchange on a domain controller or doing anything with DCPROMO while Exchange is installed.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.