Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Disaster Recovery Options

Hello People.

Listen, we are searching for an Exchange Disaster Recovery Strategy.

We don't know which are our options, so that is What I'm here.

So we have an exchange Server Cluster which would like to replicate in our second site (Physical site, Non active directory one).

We have all the infrastructure ready, for example right now our Exchange cluster is in the site 1, the exchange disk are in a EMC Symetrix Box, this year we are going to do a swing migration to new hardware which also implicate that we will change from the Symetrix to a Clariion 320c.

So we are creating a Disaster Recovery plan in our Site 2 for contingency in the company and we want to include Exchange.

So in plain English, could you help us find the best solution for this implementation, what things we should have in mind.

Extra info
    "The preface is the first site is destroyed but we would still have our current active directory available which is common to both sites".
    Mike Groves

Our Exchange version is 2003 SP2 (we wont migrate to 2007).

The Actually Exchange Server And where the disaster recovery would be are different subnet.

We have an 2003 Server Domain, not native and exchange in Mix mode right now, but before all this changes we'll going native in Windows Forest & Domain and in Exchange.

Best Regards
    Last edited by Nehemoth; 12th March 2008, 15:59.
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Exchange Disaster Recovery Options

Where are the people here?.

Hehhehe

Well let me wait more, I searched over the Internet but still couldn't find nothing important.
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

i have SAN replication that keeps the mailstores on the SAN at our primary and our DR site.

i also have used VMWare converter to create virtual exchange boxes... exact copies of the physicals.

vmotion is scripted to turn on the virtuals and modify DNS entries to point to the virtuals in the event the primary goes down. of course, this is a manually initiated vmotion, but you get the point.

ideally, exchange isnt *supposed* to be virtualized, but its only in the event a hurricane puts my courthouse under water. this will allow email to work in the event of a disaster...

just my two packets on that... you will need to find a method that suites your topology, equipment, and staff.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

How do you mount your storage group onto the virtualized Exchange Server? I thought ESX does not support virtaulized HBAs. I kind of like the idea of having a virtual machine as backup.

Comment

ESX does support RDMs.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Interesting never thought about mapping exchange LUNs like that. Do you use virtual mode or physical mode?

Comment

Very interesting indeed.

I hope some other people bring us more info but this is a nice beginning.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
              X