Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masquerade does not appear to work

Hi,

Just installed win 2003 server and exchange 2003 on the same box for development purposes.
    I have used domain.local for my 2003 domian.

My problem is that when i send an email, it either ends up in a spam folder or gets rejected at it's destination.
    I believe this is because my email address is [email protected]l.

By Right-clicking the properties of the SMTP I inserted my internet domain name in the Masquerade section hoping this would append my internet name to my account name but to no avail.

so, in theory I thought [email protected]l would change to [email protected]

Where am I going wrong?

Cheers,

Re: Masquerade does not appear to work

so did you create a new SMTP address for your account with the new domain suffix?

or did you modify the default recipient policy to automatically create the address when RUS runs?

just a couple of tips.. the FQDN is the name that needs to be in the 'masquerade' box... or, in other words, the stuff on your MX record.

i have an exchange server... our internal AD domain is whathehellever.com, so i have an address inside: [email protected].

our domain for email is different... deeznutz.com, so when someone sends me mail to the courthouse, they send it to [email protected].

when i first clicked the button to masquerade the domain, it really did nothing for the accounts. i still had to modify the recipient policy to create the address with the new suffix, and that fixed the problem.

leave the default recipient policy the way it is, and then create a new policy. this one call something like "naming convention policy" and configure the filter for the policy so that it includes all the users in your org (or just the ones you want) and then set up the new naming convention.

i dont know how your is, but my is done like [email protected]... so i have written the following in the SMTP generation tab:
    %g.%[email protected] <--- the %g pulls the 'given name' and then the %s pulls the surname, separates the two with a period, and then appends the domain suffix to the end.

hope that explains that. if i hosed that explanation, hopefully sembee will come along and clean it up and/or correct my mistakes.

good luck d00d!

james
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Your understanding of the masquerade is wrong. Ignore the masquerade - leave it blank. What you need to do is add the domain to recipient policy. On that tab you need to enter the machine's public name in the FQDN to ensure email delivery.

What I normally do is add the external domain to the recipient policy to match the default and set it as the default. Leave the original email address (.local) in place.
      Then add additional policies as required to set the real email address formats. At worst, if you get the additional recipient policy wrong the users get a valid email address in the internet domain.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if this is what you meant but I have done this:

Click on the recipient policies folder>right-click default policy>email address policy

select new SMTP address

Enter @mydomain.com and set as default.

When I send an email to my yahoo account the name is now [email protected] and not [email protected]l

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
        X