lost all attachments in exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost all attachments in exchange

Using MS Exchange 2003 with Trend Micro SMB Client/Server virus protection.
    Network had a virus so we ran a full scan including all attachments.
    However, the virus scanner took this information and converted every users email attachments and converted them into txt files. So the user can see the email but when they click on the attachment it says it's been block. Trends tech support said there was no way to reverse this and that we would have to restore from a backup.
    We have a good backup from before this happened but I don't know what file and/or folder to restore to get the attachments back. I don't want to restore the whole server because everything else is running great.
    If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
    Geoffrey

Re: lost all attachments in exchange

You would restore the information store(s) and transaction logs to get it back to what it was before. I would also advise you to change AV settings as well.

Comment

any idea what folder the information store(s) is located?

Comment

Your backup software (if it is exchange aware) will have an option to restore the information store and will pick up the correct location.

By Default it is in the mdbdata directory under your exchange install location
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian - Thank you VERY much!
          I restored the MDBDATA folder and it worked!

PS - for anyone following this thread I had to shut off "use cached exchange mode" on each mailbox after I restored the MDBDATA folder to refresh the old emails.

Comment

Nice bit of feedback there Geoffrey. Thanks for that, it is appreciated.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Recently moved the transaction logs to second drive and updated their location. However, some users are having trouble opening attachments from some other users. Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by carthur01 View Post
                Recently moved the transaction logs to second drive and updated their location. However, some users are having trouble opening attachments from some other users. Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?
                Yes. Create a new thread with an appropriate title and a better description of your problem and do NOT hijack another members thread. When you do that then I shall delete these 2 posts. Thank you.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X