Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange IS backup

Hello,

I need to shorten the time on my "Full" Friday backup so that we can get started on server upgrades quicker next weekend. Last weekend my full backup only ran for 19+hr's which would cause me to twiddle my thumbs till 4:00pm Saturday...

Using Backup Exec 10d, I have selected the exchange IS stores (Pub + Priv), having this backed up is it also necessary to backup the actual 70GB .edb and .stm files.

The transaction logs are also selected which are only a couple GB max so it is not a big deal but for arguement sake could I skip the transaction logs as well where Veritas should do a full backup then flush the logs anyways?

I am trying to find the minimum needed for a full restore if it all hits the fan...

Re: Exchange IS backup

i just want to clarify... your asking 2 things, right?

1. what do you need to do a restore from backups?

you need a full backup of the MIS on the server handling mailboxes. this "full backup" is comprised of the .edb and .stm files and the transaction logs.

depending on your backup schedule, the options vary. i have a full backup that runs every night from 1AM till 6AM. then, periodically thru out the day, i have incremental backups running. this will allow you to restore to the last time the incremental was finished...

you can only restore to the last incremental. so lets say you have a full backup on friday night and you have taken 3 incrm. backups on monday, tuesday, and wednesday, respectively. the 3rd backup fails to start or the data is corrupt and your mail store is dismounted due to failure... you can only restore your email inboxes to tuesday. and whats more, you MUST have the full backup restored first, then the tlogs are replayed to catch things up... that why its very important to design a solid BU procedure.

and the second question was like:

2. how can i shorten the time required to do a backup?

first off, keep them local and move the finished backups to tape (or whatev) if you dont have a gig network. ive also found backup exec to be slower than NT backup... i backup the MIS with NT and then backup exec pulls the finished copy from my SAN array.

here are a couple of really informative sites on the above subject. the first link is boss and covers everything... the second is a m$ page from technet.
    Howto: Restore Exchange 2003 data using the Recovery Storage Group
    Overview of Exchange Server Backup Methods

pees out, and good luck!

James
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post

this "full backup" is comprised of the .edb and .stm files and the transaction logs.
      Yes that was my primary question, if I need to include the .edm and stm files. In the Veritas selection list I check off "Microsoft Information Store", is Veritas smart enough to be all inclusive and grab what ever else it would need for a restore.

Thanks

Comment

Yes it is. No you shouldn't back up the STM, EDB, or log files separately. In fact, BackupExec has a built in exclusion list that will exclude these files even if the folders they reside in are in your backup selection list.

Comment

Thanks...that anwsers my question.

Comment

Originally posted by stylus277 View Post
            Thanks...that anwsers my question.
            well good deal. then feel free to exercise the karma button so me and joeqwerty can get the much needed rep.

me and joeqwerty are like this (james crosses fingers) and he needs to get an MVM thing by his name too.

i have one, but i want to keep getting karma for my helpful and somewhat eloquent postings.

glad we could help.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Oh, I thought james and I were like this (joeqwerty crosses fingers of other hand). I'm glad to have james in my boat pulling for my karma! LOL.

Comment

All set on the rep points.

Comment

Working...
                X