Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with switching from Exchange to PST

Hello
    We have exchange server 2003 in the organization. We decided to switch all users to PST file. For some reason when i open outlook i see two mailboxes. I removed the exchange e mail, and added pop 3. BUT in the add new account window I still see under “deliver new e mail..” in the list “mailbox-User”. I tried to add the exchange again, but I have two mailboxes again, when I removed it I still have one left.
    The main issue is that it’s creating problems with loading outlook. Keep asking for safe mode etc. I know that this is the problem because one user that doesn’t have two mailboxes everything is loading fine.
    Thanks in advanced, sorry for the long story.
    Attached Files

Re: problem with switching from Exchange to PST

If you launch the Mail applet in control panel, you should be able to remove the Exchange mail setup from there, and at the same time, set all new mail to be delivered to the personal folder. You must not have Outlook running at this time. Once you have set it up using that applet, launch Outlook and it should all be OK.

I wonder why you would want to do this anyway - did you know that when using Exchange "properly", i.e. without PST, your clients benefit from:
    • Centralised storage of mailboxes which can then be backed up
    • Clients can still work offline because Outlook cleverly uses an "OST" file
    • Shared calendar and/or the ability to authorise users to view other users' emails (e.g. a personal assistant can view their bosses email and deal with it if so authorised).

whereas when using PST files you have an administrative problem in that the users probably never bother to backup their PST files, and there is no performance improvement anyway.

I do recommend that you keep all mail in the Exchnage mailboxes and ditch those PST files. It's the best way.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

thank you for your prompt reply.
      Yes i am very aware of the benefits with exchange.
      i went to the control panel and still after removing the exchange mail, i have delivery to mailbox,
      cause remeber i had 2 of them to begine with. and now after removing the exchange i have another one that create the problem of loading outlook. some users dont have it and outlook is loading fine.
      Any ideas?
      Avi

Comment

To clarify: you wish to move from Exchange to POP3 (PST being the side effect).

As Paul noted: What is driving you to this solution?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          To clarify: you wish to move from Exchange to POP3 (PST being the side effect).

As Paul noted: What is driving you to this solution?
          How do you mean PST being the side effect?

i thought PST was stored on a centralised server so it can be backed up and OST is on a persons computer so they can email etc off line.

So PST is always used and to have OST is the only 'choice' you have (to have it or not).

Am i totallty incorrect?

Comment

A PST file is stored on the local machine, not on the server. If you have Exchange, please avoid using PST files.

When the iser has a POP3 download which fetches email fromthe Exchange server, the data (emails etc) is stored on the user's local machine, not on the server.

When the user uses Exchange "properly" the emails are left on the server in the Exchange database and there are no PST files. However, to speed things up, each client machine has an OST file which is an offline cache. You do not normall y see OST files nor do you ever have to fiddle with them in any way, normally.

Hope this clarifies things.

Oh and what is meant by "PST being the side effect" is that PST files are created when you tell Outlook to download the emails by using a POP setup, and so users who are purely Exchange based don't have PST files at all. So a side effect of making it a POP based system is that PST files get created. I'm pretty sure this is what Rick was helping with in his post.
            Last edited by PaulH; 25th February 2008, 17:45. Reason: PST side effect
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

WHICH you can always turns OST to PST with third party software, in case the exchange is down. plus you can place the PST file on the server and have it back up every night.
              To solve my problem, i deleted the profile and created a new one.
              to begin with i have no idea why i had in some users Mailbox-user twice

Comment

PST files stored on a server is not supported.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=297019

More on the same subject:
                http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...n-t-do-it.aspx

I would really recommend that you reconsider the decision to move to PST storage. If you are going to do that you may as remove Exchange as it is now close to useless. Save you money and use a POP3 server.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X