Exchange 2003 doesn't accept 1 of 10 mails

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 doesn't accept 1 of 10 mails

Hi guys,

hope someone can help me with this.

I have a SBS2003 server with exchange2003 and a Novell Security manager with SMTP proxy. Everything works just fine except that once in a while some mail stops at the proxy and is not accepted by SMTP server. The proxy just shows "Connection reset by peer: server". Exchange logs don't show anything, event manager doesn't show anything, message tracking center doesn't see those mails. The sending party are not spammers (I've checked those IP at RBL). Those mails that stop at the proxy are from some random addresses, not from one particular server.

I've downloaded the Exchange Troubleshooting Assistant, it found no mistakes in configuration.

Don't know what to do :/

Re: Exchange 2003 doesn't accept 1 of 10 mails

When this happens, are there multiple emails in the proxy? If so, are they from diffrent sending domains? Does the proxy establish a connection with the Exchange server only when sending email or does it establish a permanent connection? The "connection reset by peer" message sounds like a network issue, not an email issue. My suggestion would be too install Microsoft Network Monitor 3 on the proxy and the Exchange server, then set up a capture on each server to capture traffic between the two and when the problem occurs look at the capture and see if that gives you a clue as to what is happening.

Re: Exchange 2003 doesn't accept 1 of 10 mails

I can't install Network Manager on the proxy, cause its not a Windows platform, it's Linux. And it acts as a router/firewall/proxy only.

All the e-mail's that hang in the proxy are from different sending domains. Proxy has a permanent connection with the server. I think it's an e-mail issue, because all the e-mails pass without problems, and only once in a while some e-mail hangs at the proxy. While it is hanging, other e-mails still are passing the proxy without problems. When I try to force connection for that particular e-mail to push it through the proxy, it shows that stupid warning "Connection reset by peer: server".