No announcement yet.

How to change en masse Mailbox Rights

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change en masse Mailbox Rights

Summary of my inquiry:
    We currently have many AD accounts with Exchange mailboxes. My goal is to delegate to my Level-1 help desk team the ability to allow User-A access to User-B's mailbox. I know this is possible, on an account-by-account basis, but that is timely and unrealistic. This is the 21st century and I therefore assume there is a way to - at the very least - script this task.

More info:
    I can accomplish this task manually, for one account at a time, by using ADUC, selecting the account, properties, Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights button, and adding my Level-1 help desk (a single security group) with "Change Permissions" set to "Allow".

My question is how might I apply this exact setting to every existing account with an Exchange mailbox? It would be nice to have the option to accomplish this at the domain level, OU level or specific mailbox.

The end goal:
    In case you're wondering, the end goal is to enable my Level-1 help desk team to grant users access to mailboxes other than their own. The settings they need to change, on the account to be granted this access, is "Full Mailbox Access" ("Delete Mailbox Storage" is on be default). Once that is done, the end-user can simply attach to that "additional mailbox" using Outlook (Email Accounts, Exchange Server Settings, More Settings button, Advanced tab, Add button).

Without the "Change Permissions" allowed for my Level-1 team, they get an error when trying to grant users access: "Unable to save permissions changes on <username>. Access is denied."

I've searched for the ability to make this change en masse, to no avail. I am hopeful that the experts at and their visitors already have a solution.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Westchaser; 21st February 2008, 20:03.

Re: How to change en masse Mailbox Rights

you can use admodify on a computer with the exchange tools installed to grant mailbox rights to a certain user in bulk.

here is a picture of the tab to do that with:

that should do it, correct?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...