X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 external -> Exchange server internal

Dear Experts,

Need help and direction in working this solution

I have a 3rd party hosting my e-mails servers. Currently all users in the organisation use outlook and the POP3/SMTP protocols to download/send mails.

I want to install an exchange server which would receive e-mails for all users from the external server and deliver them to all internal users. Also all e-mails from internal users should be sent out through the Exchange server.

I have setup the exchange server and would like to know how to connect with the POP3 external server for recieving and SMTP external server for sending e-mails.

Thanks in advance

Re: POP3 external -> Exchange server internal

Originally posted by avidblogger View Post
    Dear Experts,

would like to know how to connect with the POP3 external server for recieving and SMTP external server for sending e-mails.

Thanks in advance
    Add "Routing Conenctor" ?
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

If you have Small Business Server you already have a POP3 connector which will do the job you need. If you have Exchange Standard or Enterprise you will need a 3rd party product.

IMHO a better option would be to change your MX records for your public domain name (company.com) so all email is delivered directly to your server. If you have a static IP, this should be very straightforward.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well it's not really done that way. Exchange can't retrieve emails from the POP3 server. You could ask the provider if they could forward all email to your Exchange server, but why don't you just take over entirely. Change your public DNS MX record to point to your Exchange server.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

Appreciate the solutions provided.

However, i cannot do a change of MX records directly. I have to convinince the mgmt b4 i can let Exchange server to take over from the 3rd party e-mail provider.

As per sco1984, how do i add a "Routing Conenctor" ?

if somebody can help me please

Thanks a lot, really appreciate all the help

Comment

You can't add a routing connector to make your Exchange server retrieve emails from the POP3 server. You have to have the POP3 provider forward the emails to your Exchange server. The only other option is to have your Outlook clients POP to them to recieve email and SMTP to you to send email.

Comment

Working...
            X