Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranferring mail server domain [ How fast is it?]

Hi,
    I have 1 mail server in our India office. domain name [ i.e. mail.mydomain.com assigned for my mail system ] for my India mail server is registred @ Canadian company.

I want to register same name to indian company in July 2008 upon its domain expiry date in Canada. How fast is it to replicate changes universely ?

Anybody has experience in transferring domain name from one country domain hosting company to other country?

I am much worrying if the delay happens, all mails pointing towards my India mail server will get bounced back to all senders & 2ndly my server will be black listed.

Any tips/clues ?

Regards,
    AmeY.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: Tranferring mail server domain [ How fast is it?]

I would think replication of the new information would take only a few hours. I've transferred domains and DNS records from one registrar to another (US based) and not had any time delay issues. The only potential problem would be a mail server not finding the MX record for your domain but in your case the old registrar's MX record will still be pointing to your mail server until the records are transferred to your new registrar so email should still arrive because you should not have any "dns blackout" where your DNS records can't be found. I host email for 50 companies and when I change MX records for my customers the change is updated in minutes.

The idea that it takes 72 hours for DNS changes to occur is a myth. When my dns resolver needs to find your domain it issues a query to it's DNS server, which then queries a forwarder or the root hint servers, which find the authorative DNS servers for your TLD, which then find the authorative servers for your domain and issue the query to it. If all the DNS servers in the world had to cache your domain records then it would take a while to update but that is not how the global DNS infrastructure works. 99.999% of the DNS servers don't have your records cached and have to issue a query to find them, so there's no actual "replication" of your DNS records in the first place.
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 21st February 2008, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      99.999% of the DNS servers don't have your records cached and have to issue a query to find them, so there's no actual "replication" of your DNS records in the first place.
      Interesting !
      Thanx for the explaination!
      I performed NS lookup for my domain name.
      It's showing my MX record too which I registred in to ISP's NS record in India.
      Hopefully tranferring wont bounce my mails. Mails will refer the MX record if it fails to locate domain name registry ?

Regards,
      AmeY.
      All in 1
      Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

As long as your DNS records can be found, then you'll be OK. A sending mail server will issue an MX and/or A record query for your domain to it's DNS server , which will issue a query to find:

1. The authorative NS for your TLD
        2. The authorative NS for your domain
        3. The MX and/or A record for your domain

It will then send this info back to the sending mail server, which will attempt to establish an SMTP session to the ip address listed in the MX and/or A record for your domain, more or less.

A mail server will first try to locate and us an MX record for your domain, if it doesn't find one it will try to locate and use an A record for your domain, if it doesn't find one it will quit, delete the message, and send an NDR to the sender.

Comment

Working...
        X