Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to relay - SMTP Authentication the answer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to relay - SMTP Authentication the answer?

I have a mobile user who uses Outlook 2003 to connect to my SBS 2003 server via POP3. I would like to have him use this server for SMTP as well since he tends to stay in different hotels while on the road and I don't want to make him find out what the address of the SMTP server of the hotel's ISP is.

I'm assuming that SMTP authentication is they way to go but (being that I'm near-Neanderthal I don't know how to implement it. I've dug through the Knowledgebase here and at MS and I can't seem to figure out where to start to enable SMTP authentication in this basic (so it seems) scenario.

Can anyone please give me a couple of pointers to enable it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
    Brad

By default relay is enabled (Exchange 2003) for authenticated users only. So... if he has an account in AD he should be able to relay through your server. You'll need to configure his email client to authenticate for SMTP.

You might find that in order to make it work he may need to use domain\username for his username.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

SMTP authentication - relaying

Ok...

The user is an AD account and I checked the relay settings in the System Manager for the virtual SMTP server and the settings match. I also enabled SMTP authentication in Outlook but it still doesn't seem to work. I tried using both the 'Username' and 'DOMAIN\Username' and I still receive the below message when attempting to send mail:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.domainname.com', Server: 'mail.domainname.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Also, I did read the MS KB article (295164) about Cisco routers/firewalls stripping SMTP data. I do have a Cisco router that the SMTP traffic passes through to this server but after telneting in it seems to be working fine but could this be my problem?

Thanks again for the assistance,
      Brad

Comment

Re: SMTP authentication - relaying

Originally posted by xelitus
        ...I did read the MS KB article (295164) about Cisco routers/firewalls stripping SMTP data. I do have a Cisco router that the SMTP traffic passes through to this server but after telneting in it seems to be working fine but could this be my problem?

Thanks again for the assistance,
        Brad
        It is possible, you might want to check just to make sure because I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would keep you from relaying.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Problem Resolved!

Andrew,

I just wanted to say thank you for the assistance.

I checked out the Cisco router and it was indeed running the "fix-up" routine on SMTP traffic and dropping ESMTP commands. After disabling this feature my remote clients can successfully authenticate.

Thanks again,
          Brad

Comment

No problem Brad, I'm glad you figured out the problem. Kudos.
            Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X