Server Wont Recive Mail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Wont Recive Mail

hey guys...i never set up exchange before and i read a few articles of off google and i managed to set it up......i can send email but i can not recive any email...
    I also activated the pop3 service in services in my server but nothing i also think i set up my mx records..right..can ya verify?
    i use yahoo
    so the A record goes to mail.mysite.net then its fowared to my IP
    and my mx record is mail.mysite.net
    is this right???
    or is there a good article on this?
    and what good security can i set becuase i dont want my passwords in clear text and becuase am planning on doing it on https also so the employess can access from the internet

Re: Server Wont Recive Mail

well, here is a good place to start. click on the "home" icon to view the plethora of resources available for all your exchange configuration needs.

the section on MX records is covered here:
    Configure MX Records for Incoming SMTP E-Mail Traffic
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

thats what lead me to this foroum thats why am asking if i configured my mx records right

am using yahoo domain hosting
      and i set the A record for mail.mysite.net then its fowared to my IP wich is my routers public ip and it fowards it to the server on ports 25 and 110 are forwared to it
      and my mx record is mail.mysite.net
      is this right???
      but on the article it said to use ur FQDN for your mx record and on my domain the FQDN for my server is server.mycompany.local and when i put it on the yahoo mx records it wont let me so i set it for mail.mysite.net is this correct?

Comment

what happens when you try to resolve the records externally?

like using dnsstuff.com, what happens when you input your domain? does it pull the a records and the MX? are the IPs correct?

from outside, you should be able to telnet to the domain name on 25 and get a prompt to send mail after the HELO...

i have a mail server... doesnt matter what kind. i have an external (public) IP address. lets say its 10.199.10.5 for sake of discussion. lets also say that the internal IP for my mail server is 192.168.5.10

i also have a firewall. the firewall is set to take all incoming traffic destined to 10.199.10.5 on port 25 to the internal address for the mail server or 192.168.5.10, otherwise known as a NAT.

so on the domain hosting site, i have an A record for mail.mydomain.com => 10.199.10.5

i have an mX record on the site also. reads like mydomain.com => mail.mydomain.com

thats it.

i dont see where your hangup is. can YOU verify that this is how your mX is setup?

if so, then you should receive mail. you should also be able to telnet to the mail server and at least get a response.

so what about your setup is different from my make-believe scenario and dpetri's walkthru?

can you verify that the NAT is correct?

Comment

yes its like that and i used this links to configure exchange
          but my questions is all i set up was smtp do i have to configure pop3 to?? or i dont need it becuase the users are on the domain these are the links i used i dont know if its right
          http://www.christensen-software.com/...hange_2003.htm
          http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...03_install.htm
          http://www.petri.com/configure_excha...er_domains.htm

and the things that worrys me is that when i go to mail.mysite.net it goes to my router configuration is that normal?? i dont like that and even does it when remote managent is disabled

Comment

Originally posted by jose789 View Post
            and the things that worrys me is that when i go to mail.mysite.net it goes to my router configuration is that normal?? i dont like that and even does it when remote managent is disabled

you mean from a telnet session? go to start>run>CMD
            c:> telnet mail.mydomain.net 25
            220 mail.mydomain.net Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.3959
            ready at Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:26:27 -0500
            HELO

that is what should happen.

what happens when you try to telnet on 25 to mail.mydomain.net?

Comment

am sorry i meant when i go to mail.mysite.net on IE it goes to my router and when i do that on CMD it says connecting then screen goes clack on CMD and seriously thanks for helping me out

Comment

ok... the screen going black. that isnt the norm, i dont think.

mine does the same, but only because i have a mail gateway that secures the telnet session. that line in the last post i made can be used to identify and target your mail server. its obvious that im running windows when you see:
                220 mail.mydomain.net Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.3959

so my ironport doesnt let you see whats happening... i just get the black screen.

and just to ask again, did you set the NAT correctly or did you use conditional port fowarding? i just dont get the black screen on your setup.

its cool. sembee is here... once he runs thru the forum and corrects my mistakes and screws with joeqwerty a little, he'll come into here and answer your problems with a less-than-15-word response that i should have gotten.

say la vive...

Comment

ok am using a linksys router and its single port fowarding and i just changed my password on the dam router becuase like i told you u can access it when you go to mail.mysite.net and now...i cant LOGIN lol..i fell...really stupid...hopefully when i unplug the router and plug it back in it will work....if not ill have to reset the dam router and yea when i go to cmd then do the telnet mail.mysite.net 25 it goes blank then goes back to c:\

Comment

hi everyone.... i'm a newbie on this so please by patient....

i have currently installed and configured a web-based mail for our company using MS Exchange 2003...

i have no problems sending or receiving messages locally....

problem is... i can only send email to other emails like yahoo or gmail but when i try to reply back to my Exchange server.... i can't receive the mail

and i has this failure notice on yahoo...

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

Technical details of permanent failure:
                    PERM_FAILURE: DNS Error: Domain name not found

can pls somebody help me on this? thanks alot!

Comment

nslookup is your friend.

Code:
                      nslookup       ; starts nslookup
                      >set q= mx     ; sets query for mx record
                      >your.domain  ; DN for your domain.
                      You should get back what is registered as your Mail eXchanger.

You seem to have a problem that your MX records are not registered.

hth
                      Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

i did what you guys said so now my A record goes to mail.mysite.net wich fowards it to my public IP on router then router fowards all 110 and 25 traffic to my server
                        and my mx record is mail.sysite.net and on my DNS on server i added the mx record now

but now on outlook when i do send and recive it still sends email but now when reciving outlook give me error and it dint do that

task "[email protected]" reported error (0x8004010F): the operation failed an object cannot be found

nevarmind i fixed that error but i still cant recive
                        Last edited by jose789; 14th February 2008, 18:42.

Comment

ok popeye i did what u told me to do and on the command
                          >your.domain ; DN for your domain.

i got this

when i put mail.mysite.net in nslookup i got

> mail.msyite
                          Server: server.myactivedirectorynamedomain.local
                          Address: 192.168.*.50

Non-authoritative answer:
                          Name: mail.mysite.net
                          Address: 66.19.**.** <-----------public IP

and i think this is correct isnt?? everything looked good

>
                          ok another update...i cant recive email from inside them domain and send email out on the internet...i i think everythin on MX
                          records are correct..i think something is wrong on the server itself becuase when i telnet to my server on port 25 internaly and externaly it doesnt work it says connection coulnt be made do i have to enable that port??
                          ----------
                          Last edited by jose789; 14th February 2008, 19:33.

Comment

Did you type the line
                            Code:
                            >set q=mx   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< very important
                            ?

and then

>mysite.com

NOT mail.mysite.com just mysite.com
                            Last edited by popeye67; 14th February 2008, 21:04.
                            Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

ok i did like you told me no and this is what i got from a workstation and server INSIDE the network

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                              (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

> set q=mx
                              > mysite.net
                              Server: server.domain.local
                              Address: 192.168.*.50

mysite.net MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.mysite.net
                              mysite.net nameserver = yns1.yahoo.com
                              mysite.net nameserver = yns2.yahoo.com
                              mysite.net nameserver = ns8.san.yahoo.com
                              mysite.net nameserver = ns9.san.yahoo.com
                              mail.mysite.net internet address = 66.196.*.* <------my public ip
                              ns8.san.yahoo.com internet address = 66.218.71.*
                              ns9.san.yahoo.com internet address = 216.109.116.*
                              yns1.yahoo.com internet address = 66.218.71.*
                              yns2.yahoo.com internet address = 216.109.*.20

>

NOW THIS IS FROM A ANOTHER NETWORK NOT MINE

> set q=mx
                              > mysite.net
                              Server: outsidecomputer.domain.local
                              Address: 192.168.*.*

mysite.net MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.mysite.net

mail.mysite.net internet address = 66.196.*.* ,<---my IP
                              >

Comment

Working...
                              X