No announcement yet.

Single Server to FE/BE Migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Server to FE/BE Migration

Hi all,

First off, this site and these forums are an amazing asset along with the people here that power them, thanks.

My issue is: We started small with one server and now our organization has grown and our one server is getting overloaded.

I had configured the single server using this article:

Server: Windows 2003 R2 Sp2 Standard
    Exchange: 2003 Sp2 Standard
    Server Roles: Exchange, Domain Controller, Global Catalog Server, Anti-Spyware\Anti-virus Server.

Our users connect via, OWA, POP, IMAP, RPC over HTTPS and blackberry (BES is now on a seperate server)

The server is in a hosted environment(multiple email domains).

My Question is: I would like to add a back end server to this environment and make the existing Single server a Front end RPC Proxy/Exchange Front End server (SMTP, RPC, IMAP, POP, OWA). How do I do this?

Thanks for any and all comments!

Re: Single Server to FE/BE Migration

If you want to introduce a second server to work as a backend then you need to do almost a complete swing migration. My guide to that is here:

You have to get all mailboxes off that machine, including any hidden or unused ones.

When it comes to RPC over HTTPS, instead of registry changes you simply make the changes in the GUI. Exchange does the rest.

Everything else public facing will continue to work.

The only issue you will have is that you cannot have the server as a frontend until everything has gone. Therefore if you have a high number of external users you may have to move the mailboxes in one go as quickly as you can. Another option would be to put in a temporary frontend so that users can use one machine to access both servers.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.