Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 & Windows mobile 6.0 related question

Hi,
    My company want to purchase PDA for extended support.
    We have 2 options out of which I am interested to go for Windows mobile 6.0 handheld.
    I never used Windows mobile 6.0 powered handheld.
    Few questions related to Exchange 2003 and Windows Mobile 6.0

- By using OWA URL it's possible to configure Outlook in Windows mobile 6.0?
    - Is it required to give FQDN of my domain ? [ example: mycompany.com or mail.mycompany.com ]
    - We have registered domain in MX recoards of ISP thats for obvious and in internal DNS as well.
    - Can Windows mobile 6.0 directly snc with Exchange server? [ Assuming all "Exchange Features" are enabled for the perticular user..]
    - Is it required to install sync manager on indivisual desktop and from then initiate sync to the atual haldheld?

- I tried to configure it on Moto QH9 series phone 2 days ago but failed.
    - This is may be due to international fibre link down that why may be was unable to connect to my server.
    - I configured all values like we do in Microsoft Outlook while configuring it on a desktop.

I am pretty sure many of you must be using Windows mobile 6.0 Would like to hear some feedback also ..And is it possible to do "RDC" over Windows mobile 6.0 ? And I read somewhere with Motorola Windows mobile 6.0 we get free VPN client tool through which its possible to connect to corporate network?

I did a lot of searching at Google,Microsoft. Found nothing much about troubleshooting. Even some links @ Microsoft Mobile sections are dead. I downloaded some demo videos from YouTube but the demos aint explaining anything about how to ocnfigure Outlook. Any help ?

Regards,
    AmeY.
    [ p/s: We got demo of BlackBerry but costwise device is expensive. Not many features compare to Windows mobile & service is expensive. We need to purchase separate BlackBerry services. ]
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: Exchange 2003 & Windows mobile 6.0 related question

I have had no problems synchronising WM6 with Exchange.

On the device, put in:
    External domain name that resolves to your company network e.g. mail.company.com
    Select SSL option -- you will need a properly configured 3rd party cert and may need to import intermediate certs into the device
    Put in user credentials
    Name
    Internal domain NetBIOS name
    Password
    Schedule synchronisation

Thats it...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

- By using OWA URL it's possible to configure Outlook in Windows mobile 6.0?

URL will likely end up looking like https://server1.foo.com

- Is it required to give FQDN of my domain ? [ example: mycompany.com or mail.mycompany.com ]

You will have to use whatever *outside DNS name* you give your machine. It is possible (and perhaps a good idea) to give it a more generic name on the outside.

- We have registered domain in MX recoards of ISP thats for obvious and in internal DNS as well.

This is for your Exchange server to send/receive mail. If this is already working, then you will not change any of this (and should not!) for Mobile 6.

- Can Windows mobile 6.0 directly snc with Exchange server? [ Assuming all "Exchange Features" are enabled for the perticular user..]

Yes! If you turn on the top three attributes in your AD Users/computers, your server will 'push' updates out. You will need to enable OWA for the GAL lookup to work though.

- Is it required to install sync manager on indivisual desktop and from then initiate sync to the atual haldheld?

No. Your Exchange server and Mobile 6 device will do all that is needed.

Now, the easiest thing for you to do, is to set up your Exchange IIS server to use a certificate from Verisign or other such provider. That way you use HTTPS rather than plain HTTP. Just request the certificate for whatever the machines OUTSIDE name is on DNS (if different that your internal network)

If all is set up correctly, you should be able to open https://server1.foo.com/Exchange - put in your login information - and get to your email. If so, your Mobile Device will work easily.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I got Windows mobile for dmeo yesterday. Some details/testing I done is as follows >

have DOPOD [ Now HTC ] Windows mobile 5.0 smartphone.

-Internet service [GPRS] enabled on my sim card

- I am able to browse web sites using this handheld

- Configured Outlook with required setting

- I click on send/receive option

- It says conencting & after few minutes "Synchronizing Folders"

- It shows message "Failed to synchronize" and I get message "Finished".

What could be reason behind this ?

- For my account OWA/OMA/POP3/SMTP all exchange features are enabled.

- I am able to browse https://webmail.mydomain.com/oma on my Windows XP desktop in company LAN.

- It shows certificate error as we dont have any 3rd party certificate

- When I proceed by accepting the certificate and by logging it shows following error > " A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.
        "

-Do I need to create a new virtual directory under "OMA" in "Exchange System Manager" ?

- Or the sync error on my smartphone is due to certificate? Shall I import the certificate ?

Update: I imported EXCHANGE cert in to my handheld. I named the cert exactly same/the name of server.cert

Now it's showing following error when i iniate sync from my office desktop via Microsoft Active sync software version 4.2>>> "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the server. Support Code: 85010014"

update: My smartphone is connected to my office desktop to do snyc locally. It's throwing above error. I am no longer trying to sync via GPRS.

My conclusion After searching a lot, I got to know the errors are due to form based authentication. OMA uses NTLM/Kerberos authentication. Creating new virtual directory under IIS + configuring it for Windows integrated authenticatio for OMA will solve the problem ?
        All in 1
        Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

I found that you can have this problem with a single exchange server deployment rather than a front end / back end configuration.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817379

This gives some info on creating a new Virtual Directory for OMA to use.

Comment

Working...
          X