Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outlook 2003 Product Key (Exchange 2003 Std)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 Product Key (Exchange 2003 Std)

I have deployed Exchange Server 2003 Std on a Windows 2003 Std DC, With the available downloads via MS eOpen site, there was a Outlook 2003 download:

SW CD NTRL Outlook 2003 W32 English #1 PA BP for Svr (X09-66018 )

I presume this is the Office Outlook 2003 I need to deploy for the users. My question is when I run the install on the clients it requests a Product Key. But I can not find any keys on the eopen site or MS licensing site.

I emailed MS about 5 days ago, but still nothing back from them, am I missing something or should I get on to them again?

Thanks,

PaulG.

Re: Outlook 2003 Product Key (Excahnge 2003 Std)

The product key would have been with your media kit. I believe it is the same for everyone, but I cannot be sure on that and I am not posting a product key here.
    If you are not getting anything from Microsoft then go back to whoever sold the licenses to you, as they are the ones who are responsible.
    Failing that, ask them to order you an Exchange 2003 media kit, which contains four CDs, Exchange 2003, Exchange 2003 SP2, Outlook 2003 and Entourage.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Re: Outlook 2003 Product Key (Exchange 2003 Std)

Thanks,

Those four disks are available on the eopen website for me, but no keys. I suppose I need to get on to Dell if the keys are only available on the Media, as we have not received any for Exchange.

Thanks again,

PaulG.

Comment

Was either Dell or Microsoft ever able to provide the keys for this?

I'm basically in the same situation, just purchased new servers, Exchange, and CALs from Dell. Got my authorization/license email and registered on eOpen, but have no product keys. I asked Dell and they told me to call Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me it's Dell's fault. Dell says they don't ship the software/licenses and to download them from eOpen. I have the downloads for Exchange 2003/2007 and Outlook, but no keys.

I'm wondering who's right, and if you tracked down the Outlook key, that will probably help me out as I can then go after the right party.

Comment

Hi ebbsonflows,

Sorry for the delay, I haven't finished chasing this up. Some users received MSDN Subscriptions too, so they have used the key that appeared on the eopen site as a temorary mesaure. I will be getting in touch with Dell re this as soon as I can. Who to blame? I would say either party could be causing the problems, but the fact that Dell took the money off you, they should be fully responsible. Plus they have a team of Microsoft licensing guys there, so between them they should be able to sort the matter.

But with my experience with these Dell sales people, they tend to get very lazy after you have placed your big order, and move onto another comapny for more commision.

Keep emailing and emailing your Dell sales guy. He took the commision on your sale, he should sort your keys out for you.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Have you had any additional luck?

The latest my case is that after going back to Dell after Microsoft said they sold it to me so they should provide it, Dell's response was: "No Outlook or Office Suite was ordered"

So now I'm awaiting clarification on everything from them...again. If you can, let us know what you've been able to find out.

Comment

Here's the latest after talking to the Dell Software Rep with their Microsoft Licensing Rep conferenced in.

Exchange 2007 CALs offer no Outlook rights and this was changed from Outlook 2003 CALs. Exchange 2007 CALs are not "downgradable" to 2003 CALs, so they do not provide an Outlook 2003 license. Microsoft/Dell don't offer Exchange 2003 CALs anymore, only 2007 CALs, so 2003 CALs can't even be purchased to give this functionality.

I wasn't aware of this beforehand, but it all looks like licensing changes to make MS more money for the 2007 Office/Exchange versions. They allow you to run Exchange 2003 from Exchange 2007 downgrade rights, but have to purchase Outlook/Office separately due to the CAL changes.

Let me know if you find out anything else, but I'm not too hopeful and a bit disappointed with both Dell and MS as I made them aware of our desires beforehand.

Comment

Good update. However I find it hard to believe (although maybe I am being blind to Microsoft being so wrong) But Outlook is bundled with Exchange, the SBS install I did at the same time was fine, the Outlook install never even asked for keys, but a full Exchange Standard install requires additional licenses to use it at its full potential!

I was told from day one, that when you receive your Exchange Media kit (which we didn't as it was via eOpen), you will get 4 discs, one of which is Outlook with the license key on the cover. Maybe if you/we demand the media sending we may receive the key that way.

I have just returned from vacation so will chase up my Dell rep, who hasn't replied in over two weeks!

Thanks for the update.

PaulG.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of MS licensing!

I think the reason you have trouble doing this is simply because MS changed the rules and you (and me, and most people) get stuck when we try to do what makes sense to us, but not to them.

Allow me to explain
                  • Exchange 2003 CAL _did_ include a license for Outlook 2003
                  • Exchange 2007 CAL _do not_ include a license for Outlook 2007

So far so good, noone would really object to that change but then they hit you with the rest:
                  • MS stops selling Exchange 2003 CAL and existing customers without SA wanting to continue to use Excange 2003 (for whatever reason!) are left dead in the water: The downgrade rights for the Exchange 2007 CAL _does not_ give you the right to run Outlook 2003.
                  • It _does not matter_ if you are using downgrade rights or have an existing installation - new licenses for an Exchange 2003 system (or ANY exchange system for that matter) now requires you to buy _two_ CALs, one for Exhange and one for Outlook.

Don't you feel cheated? I did, and I'm moving as many of my users as possible away from Exchange. The day I get another solid calendar/email client to replace this mess will be a glorious day!

If anyone have solid evidence that I'm wrong please come forward. This is the information I have from my license partner and from MS directly.

Comment

Thanks jibeddari.

Yep, that appears to be the case exactly.

After reading more into this it appears that if you are issued a Exchange 2007 CAL pack you will not have access to Outlook CALs for users!

Long story short, Microsoft say its better to split it so that if you buy a server product you get a server license, if you want client access you buy client license (Office).

However, if you buy Exchange 2003 now, you obviously are given a Exchange 2007 License, and all the Exchange 2003 media, which contains the Outlook client, but you are not given a CAL pack to use it, that does seem wrong, very wrong!
                    Last edited by pgudge; 25th February 2008, 18:26.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like we're all finding out how much things have changed. It really bites those of us that want to run Exchange 2003, and license it in a way MS offered for so many years. I really don't like being forced into 2007 because MS doesn't want to offer 2003 anymore and have changed the licensing.

I can't see any benefit to the customer for their licensing change and it appears to be a way to make more money for Microsoft. If they were going to make Exchange 2007 downgradable, why not make the CALs as well? Oh, that's right, so you have to purchase server, CAL, and client now. Why not just license the Exchange DB and network protocols, or create a CD-ROM access license everytime I want to access a CD while you're at it?

So, I still want to have everyone on Outlook 2003 and unfortunately the cheapest option seems to be to purchase Exchange 2003 CALs (I've found them from software resellers, but no major vendor) for about $70 and just use the Outlook license that's included with those. At least it's cheaper than full Office suite purchases for every user.

I'm a little disappointed as I made my rep aware of my intentions multiple times and in the end didn't get what I wanted, and wasn't made aware of it beforehand.

Comment

The information I have read above about Exchange 2003 CALs is not what I have been lead to understand.

My understanding is that if you buy Exchange 2007 standard CALs and use them with Exchange 2003 then you get the rights to use Outlook. However if you use Exchange 2007 server then you lose the Outlook use rights.
                        Don't forget that Exchange 2007 standard CALs are cheaper than Exchange 2003 CALs.

The reason I was told was that most sites that use Exchange already have Outlook licenses via Office licenses.

However when it comes to Microsoft licensing the standard rules apply...

1. The only people who can give you a definitive answer on Exchange licensing are Microsoft.
                        2. Get in writing
                        3. Ask three times and you will get three different answers
                        4. The most expensive solution will be the "right" one.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                        X