No announcement yet.

services not started when booting the OS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• services not started when booting the OS

I've installed properly the IIS and the SMTP,SNMP and what is needed before installing the exchange server 2003. it was working, and I could send I receive emails internally.

after I installed the exchange I removed the IIS and reinstalled because I was not seeing the IIS Manager in the administrative tools.
    but when rebooting the OS it tells me that some services are not started...
    and I am not able to send and receive emails as before

what can I do to solve this problem ?

Re: services not started when booting the OS

I suspect removing and reinstalling IIS has broken Exchange, which upgrades some IIS components e.g. SMTP

I would consider a repair reinstall of Exchange, plus relevant service packs
    IIRC you use the "disasterrecovery" switch to avoid mucking up AD

Did you by any chance back up before mucking around with IIS?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: services not started when booting the OS

You should not have removed IIS from an Exchange server. That WILL break Exchange. When Exchange is installed on top of IIS it changes IIS. What you have done is broken the connection between Exchange and IIS.

As already indicated, you might get away with a re-installation of Exchange on top of the existing install. You don't need to do a disaster recovery install, choose choose Reinstall from Add/Remove programs. You will have to reinstall the service pack afterwards.

The official instructions for reinstalling IIS on an Exchange server are here:

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.