• Show
Clear All

• Exchange : Time for Cleanup the House

Exchange : Time for Cleanup the House

Hello.

In the coming months we plan to raise our domain and forest functionality
    from mixed mode to native in windows 2003 and also we want to do the same
    thing to our exchange organization.

We did the migration from 5.5 to 2003 last year, was a semi-painful situation
    but now we are loving exchange.

But some mistakes of ignorance are still visible in our exchange organization,
    beginning with the old server which are still visible & registered in the org.

Actually we have 2 Exchange 5.5 and 2 Exchange 2003 which we don't have online
    anymore.

In this picture you can see clearly. Let me talk about the history between everyone

SVREXCH00......This was our first and principal 5.5 Exchange server (who was a cluster).
    EXCHANGE3......This was our SMPT 5.5 server.
    SVREXCON.......This was a 2003 exchange which configured as ADC (agreement connection between 5.5 and 2003).
    SVREXIMC.......In the process of the migration out ADC failed so we created this new one.

All of these servers are not anymore in the network, old boxes in the time when we was finishing the migration
    they're failed one by one, one after another...

So outside in the net there's a lot of info concerning of how to remove the last or the first exchange 5.5 server or 2003
    but are very limited, all of their talk about as if we still have the servers for remove the application but we don't.

So I asking for information of how to do this job.

I'm still searching the web for anything that I could use.

Regards
    Last edited by Nehemoth; 24th January 2008, 02:15. Reason: A Better Topic Name
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Exchange : Time for Cleanup the House

If you are sure the servers have gone, and you have removed all replicas to them on public and system folders and ensured that they aren't being referenced for anything else, then you can removed them by right clicking on the servers and choosing Delete. It will take a while for the menu to come up.

Another method would be to build a new server with the same name as the non-existent servers ( a virtual machine would do) and then do a disaster recovery installation of Exchange. Once that has been completed, remove Exchange correctly using add/remove programs. Then drop the machine in to a workgroup and reboot.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
      If you are sure the servers have gone, and you have removed all replicas to them on public and system folders and ensured that they aren't being referenced for anything else, then you can removed them by right clicking on the servers and choosing Delete. It will take a while for the menu to come up.

Another method would be to build a new server with the same name as the non-existent servers ( a virtual machine would do) and then do a disaster recovery installation of Exchange. Once that has been completed, remove Exchange correctly using add/remove programs. Then drop the machine in to a workgroup and reboot.

Simon.
      Are you kidding me?

Is indeed that easy??

Those servers are gone for good, all public folders are replicating in the actual server, I check those one by one (I wouldn't mind o do it again) & also the system folder are in the new server.

Waooooo this is really easy.

Let me read some articles that I found searching for remove exchange dead server.

Regards
      When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

You should also check for any unused mailboxes that are still homed on those dead servers. That can stop it from being removed in that way.

It is actually that easy, and by doing it that way ESM will remove the entries from the AD for you as well.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Ok.

With the two (2) 2003 servers all worked like a charm but with the two (2) 5.5 server I don't get the option to remove it from ESM.

Any though?

Should I use ADSI??

Also now when I looking at the system folders if I choose Replication in some of the folders I received an error
          An Unknown Error Has Occurred.
          ID no: 8004010f
          Exchange System Manager

this event was create

Microsoft Exchange System Attendant failed to add the local computer as a member of the DS group object 'cn=Exchange Domain Servers,cn=Users,dc=DOMAINNAME,dc=COM'.

Event ID 9187

So please tell me, exist a way so I can check everyone of the System Folder, Mailboxes of anything else which I can change it to appoint to the new one (server).

Regards guys

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

It looks like that this event is something normal
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271335

It should be resolve when I change the resources between the nodes of the cluster.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I could easyly remove the 2003 servers with a right click an remove, but with
              the 5.5 servers is a diferent story, I don't have that option available.

I have some event Id's concerning this problem

Event ID 9318
              An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality Table (LTAB) index: 139, Windows 2000/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722, Bind error 0, Remote Server Name SVREXCH00 [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14)

An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality Table (LTAB) index: 136, Windows 2000/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722, Bind error 0, Remote Server Name EXCHANGE3 [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14)

Also I can see this info in the Active Directory Sites and Services if I choose The Show Service Node
              Expand Services > Microsoft Exchange > Active Directory Connections

I believe I should Delete the Agreement Connection Which was created twice.

and the servers which can be seen
              expand Services > Microsoft Exchange > Organization Name > Administrative Groups > Administrative Group Name > Servers

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I have not done anything yet still.

I hope that I found some answers in the next days, so I will continuing searching.

cheers

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

It looks like that this will be more difficult that thought

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                  X