Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

    I was wondering if there was any way to change the cd-key for exchange? The previous tech that was working at my office left and installed "his own version" of exchange 2000 standard on the server. I told my boss that it wasn't licensed, so we purchased the exchange 2000 enterprise edition.

    Is there any way to update the server with the new cd-key/serial that we received with the CDs or do I have to do a reinstall of exchange?

    If it requires a reinstall, can I just run the CD and install over it and will it retain all the current settings with the users emails in the mailboxes?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

    My experience with Exchange 2000 is a bit limited but I am pretty sure that Microsoft treats Exchange just like it does Windows Server and that is that there is no upgrade path between the Standard and the Enterprise version. The only way to change a Standard server to an Enterprise server is to format the drive and rebuild. I am picking that Exchange is no different.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

      Originally posted by Maverick7 View Post
      My experience with Exchange 2000 is a bit limited but I am pretty sure that Microsoft treats Exchange just like it does Windows Server and that is that there is no upgrade path between the Standard and the Enterprise version. The only way to change a Standard server to an Enterprise server is to format the drive and rebuild. I am picking that Exchange is no different.
      How about if I just want to change the cd-key for it? Do you know if there is a way to change it without reinstalling everything?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

        The key will be in the registry. But where I don't know. You will have to do some searching on the web for this.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

          Try looking through here to get you started:
          http://www.petri.com/quickly_retriev...ows_cd_key.htm

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

            Originally posted by Maverick7 View Post
            Try looking through here to get you started:
            http://www.petri.com/quickly_retriev...ows_cd_key.htm
            Thanks, I'll look at that link. I found another link to bypass the cd-key for exchange 2000/2003 but it doesn't show how to retrieve it in the registry.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

              Originally posted by n0fx View Post
              Thanks, I'll look at that link. I found another link to bypass the cd-key for exchange 2000/2003 but it doesn't show how to retrieve it in the registry.
              "Bypassing" the CD key is a breach of Microsoft's license agreement. Please dont go there.

              Did you for the issue?
              http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...terprise&meta= gives several links -- the first two refer to an in-place upgrade. Make sure you
              a) Back up EVERYTHING first to have a recovery option
              b) Patch to the current SP level before re-mounting databases
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                "Bypassing" the CD key is a breach of Microsoft's license agreement. Please dont go there.

                Did you for the issue?
                http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...terprise&meta= gives several links -- the first two refer to an in-place upgrade. Make sure you
                a) Back up EVERYTHING first to have a recovery option
                b) Patch to the current SP level before re-mounting databases
                I'm not going to "bypass" the cd-key, I'm asking how to change it. I have an unlicensed version that was installed by the last guy who worked at my office and I'm trying to install a new cd-key that was purchased with the legitmate cds. I could not locate any method on how to change the cd-key to the one I purchased. My last resort would be to backup all the mailboxes and reinstall/upgrade it, but if there was an easier to way to do it, I would like to know how to do it.

                Yes, I did "google" it and I couldn't find it, that's why I posted on these forums. It doesn't seem to be something common.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                  You missed the most important fact:

                  Exchange 2000/2003 Std. cannot be "upgraded" just by changing the CD-key, even if you could do that. In order to get the Ent. version you will need to actually install the product. Since Std. can be upgraded to Ent. you could do it on top of the existing installation, but I would suggest using this opportunity to either get Exchange 2003 instead (Ex2000 is *old*, it does not receive updates or service packs, while Ex2003 is still alive and kicking); or, if you cannot get Ex2003, remove Ex2000 Std. and install Ex2000 Ent. as a fresh installation.
                  Cheers,

                  Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                    Originally posted by danielp View Post
                    You missed the most important fact:

                    Exchange 2000/2003 Std. cannot be "upgraded" just by changing the CD-key, even if you could do that. In order to get the Ent. version you will need to actually install the product. Since Std. can be upgraded to Ent. you could do it on top of the existing installation, but I would suggest using this opportunity to either get Exchange 2003 instead (Ex2000 is *old*, it does not receive updates or service packs, while Ex2003 is still alive and kicking); or, if you cannot get Ex2003, remove Ex2000 Std. and install Ex2000 Ent. as a fresh installation.
                    Thanks, I'll just backup the mailboxes and do a fresh install of Exchange 2000 Enterprise, since I already purchased the CD. I doubt the boss would want to spend any more money and upgrade to a newer version.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                      Did you read the links I posted?

                      It is (apparently) easy to do an in place upgrade by running the Enterprise installation program on the server with the existing standard installation?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                        Just to back up what has been said above - the upgrade from standard edition to enterprise edition is a supported in place upgrade. Run setup from the CD, choose Upgrade and then reinstall the service pack and the roll-ups. No need to build a new machine.
                        However I do wonder where you got the license from. Exchange 2000 hasn't been sold for a number of years. Is the new key that you have purchased legitimate?

                        Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

                        Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

                        Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                          Yes, I read the links on how to upgrade it. It seems to be an easy process to upgrade from standard to the enterprise edition. I actually found a place that still sells the 2000 version of exchange, which was here:

                          http://productquest.net/microsoft-ex...nterprise.html

                          I already got the CDs and it looks legit to me. That place got good reviews, so I decided to buy it from there.

                          Thanks to everybody who helped me on this. I'll do an upgrade on the server.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Exchange 2000 standard: changing serial / cd-key

                            I know Exchange 2000 is an old product but the price seems way to low to me.

                            Now to go Windows 2003 Enterprise with 25 CALS $749 (Normal Retail $3,899). http://productquest.net/windows-serv...3-ent-nfr.html Sorry, but that really doesn't seem legit.

                            I would suggest contacting Microsoft in your country and making sure you have a legal copy before installing it. n0fx, please note that I am in no way implying that you have done anything wrong when purchasing your software. This may very well be a legit company providing legal software and really good prices.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X