Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add database to recover. Can't find the database from the live machine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add database to recover. Can't find the database from the live machine.

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
    You don't need to use a second server for data recovery.
    Exchange 2003 has a feature called the Recovery Storage Group which you can recover data to without affecting the live server.
    Indeed you don't need a second server , but the question remains, what happens if you do want to do this. There are a couple of reasons I'd like to do it, mostly to do with checking the backup is successful. So I'd like to be able to mount the backup on another machine, extract someones pst and to be sure run eseutil /k (and /g) to check the backup store.

Both of these options mean using CPU cycles on the exchange store machine and take a long time to run. If I can do it on a machine with plenty of CPU cycles to spare I can avoid inconveniencing my users.

When I've tried to do this on the none-live (but showing up in systems manager as a machine in the same admin group) when I right click on recovery storage group/add database to recover it can't find the database from the live machine. Hence I can't restore my backup to this other machine.

So is there a way to do it (without using a recovery machine in a dummy forest) ?

Andy

Re: Add database to recover. Can't find the database from the live machine.

Split from another similar thread. Title description is mine and not the OPs.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Add database to recover. Can't find the database from the live machine.

For pure recovery of Exchange data, I would consider looking at PowerControls (Ontrack Software).

It will read Exchange databases from most backup formats or from the data and log files and allow recovery down to individual messages, either to a running Exchange server or to PST. Very useful to keep you ahead of the users who delete then demand a particular message back "right now". Not the cheapest piece of software but has proved very useful on more than one occasion.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X