Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange client permissions for groups are not applied

Hello there,

I am new to forums and to exchange but i cannot find this issue to be resolved.

My problem is that when I add a group to client permissions for public folders the permissions are not applied. If i add a user from that group than the permissions are applied.

Does anyone know why the permissions are not being applied to the group but are applied to any individual user of that particular group?

this is a top level folder, directly under the public folder tree (default)

Exchange 2003 Standard Edition on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

Thanks

Re: Exchange client permissions for groups are not applied

I'm getting exactly the same problem! The error only started yesterday after I setup replication with another Exchange server. It was working fine before that. Lets hope someone out there has a solution!

Comment

The group you are using, is that a security group or the distribution group?

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

in reply to gsuk - in my case i have not set replication yet so i do not think it is something in concern with replication

in reply to kapil - It is a security group. I have also tried to change its scope and to create multiple groups with different scopes but they did not work either of them.

The 2 groups I have created were - group 1 domain local/security
        group 2 global/security

(none of them worked)

Regards

Luke Camilleri

Comment

AFAIK, you can not use nor see security groups when applying client permissions to public folders. Create a distribution group and use that instead.

Comment

That's the catch................

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            AFAIK, you can not use nor see security groups when applying client permissions to public folders. Create a distribution group and use that instead.
            Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Hello again,

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply to this thread as with their help i came to the solution

I solved the issue but first I want to point out somethings

1 - joeqwerty you cannot use distribution groups to give permissions to public folders using the client permissions tool. As long as you are giving permissions the group must be a security group or else if you use distribution groups than the group will be automatically converted to security

The link below will explain more in detail:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274046

2- for this conversion to happen from distribution to security the domain must be in native mode or else you will receive an error in event viewer (below)

Event viewer Error

MSExchangeIS Public Store:
              Unable to set permission for DL /o=trainingorg/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=domain_finance_dist because it could not be converted to a security group. This most likely is because your system is in a mixed domain.

3- My Exchange server 2003 had no service packs so I updated it to Service Pack 2 and that seems to have made the trick.

4- Groups cannot be seen when setting client permissions because the group is not mail-enabled

I can now create public folders and set client permissions without problems

Thanks to Everyone

Luke Camilleri

Comment

Thanks for the info. I knew about the group conversion but mistakenly thought it applied only to non-Exchange objects. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                X