Sending an error messege

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending an error messege

Hi, I am going to take offline my exchange server for several hours, however, I dont want any user will be able to find any mailbox of a user which is stored on this exchange server(I don't want to hide these mailboxes). If I take the server offline, while anyone tries sending an email to a mailbox which is stored in that server, will he get an error message that the delivery was failed?

Re: Sending an error messege

I'm sorry i do not understand this part of your post:
    however, I dont want any user will be able to find any mailbox of a user which is stored on this exchange server(I don't want to hide these mailboxes).
    But I can say this to help you:

Yes, the sender will get an error message in most cases. It will be the sender's email server which has the responsibility of sending a bounce message back to the sender, since it will not be able to contact your offline mail server and so the SMTP communication will fail and will not even get as far as HELO.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

But typically a sending server will retry the email delivery for up to 48 hours, so if you have your server offline for only a few hours then chances are the email will only be delayed and the sender will not get any NDR.

Comment

Yes, joeqwerty is right to say that the message will get through a while after you turn the server back on again. But during that retry period, the sender could get a message saying that delivery has failed but that it is a temporary failure and the server will try again. It depends on the settings of the sender's server whether or not they get this warning message. To be safe, you should assume the sender might get a message.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

thanks everyone:]

Comment

Working...
          X