Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't reach external addresses & Delivery Status Notification (Relay)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't reach external addresses & Delivery Status Notification (Relay)

Hi all, my first post in here and I'm just begging for some help, I hope I'll be able to help next time.

Here's my problem :

My company's using Exchange 2003 and everything was working fine until a few days from now.

Sending a mail to any external address fails and doesn't give any error message.
    On the other side, internal mail traffic and external addresses reaching us is fine.
    I looked into the messaging queues but haven't found anything blocking

Trying to find what could be wrong and asked a delivery reciept. I receive one but it does not confirm the delivery (which, indeed, does not happen).

Below is the message I receive :

Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Your message has been successfully relayed to the following recipients, but the requested delivery status notifications may not be generated by the destination.

The only I have changed in the 24h before the problem started is the domain Administrator password, according to what I read, this shouldn't affect Exchange.

This situation becomes quite uncomfortable and as I'm not used to Exchange, I apologize for this post which might miss some information.

Thanks and regards,
    Fed

Re: Can't reach external addresses & Delivery Status Notification (Relay)

i think your reading that wrong....

the message says:
    Your message has been successfully relayed to the following recipients

the rest of the message is simply stating that you might not receive the delivery status notifications that you have requested. some orgs dont support the reciept function, like hotmail for example. well, i dont know since they implemented 'hotmail live!', but it doesnt mean that the message wasnt received, just that you wont get back the message saying your email has been read.

did you begin worrying because you received this message, or because someone specifically said 'im not getting my emails'? have you verified that you cannot receive emails?

send a message to an external account, like [email protected]. did you get the message? reply to the message you sent to the hotmail (or whatever) account... do you get the message?

that would also explain why the queue is empty.. there is no mail queued cause its all been sent!

sounds like things are ok.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hi James,

I found what was causing the problem with smtpdiag.

Basically, none was able to send mails to the internet.
      SMTP checkes mentioned that my DNS server was not returning a valid SOA record, some key failure.

I turned to my DNS, simply rebooted it and the mails sent during the last days were now processed.
      Anyway, thanks for you answer.

Fed

Comment

isnt it funny how when you post a question, you end up figuring it out on youre own?

sorry i couldnt be of any help, but im glad you solved it...
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Well, I've been a bit too happy too fast.

the problem came back, restarting the DNS server makes the mails able to get out but only for some time.

running smtpdiag doesn't show error on SOA but the MX servers listed can't get reached. Error:10060 is returned.

Guess what's "funny", that error wether I can send mail or not... strange.

I'll let you know if I find something. I'm more and more thinking of some log or buffer that gets filled up and only empties itself when the box is restarted

Comment

Working...
          X