Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archiving a mail enabled public folder...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archiving a mail enabled public folder...

I go to archive it and it tells me the selected folder can not be archived. I've checked my settings and everything seems to be right.

I'm archiving through Outlook. I tried archiving to a pst file on my PC and also to a PST file located on one of my servers.

There's no other explanation other than, "The selected folder cannot be archived"

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Re: Archiving a mail enabled public folder...

Hi tplatt,

Just a quickie- Have you checked your permissions level on the public folder?

If that seems to be OK and you're using Outlook 2003 or 2007, try disabling/enabling the cacheing of public folders on the email account settings.

Let me know ASAP if you can,

gibjon.

Comment

Hmm... I gave that a try and it didn't work. I'm set up in the permissions correctly and we have caching disabled...

I'm trying to think what the hang up could be. It's probably something simple that I'm just missing.

Well, I'm off to the drawing board to see what I can come up with.

Thanks!
      My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Comment

OK mate.

I've had wierd problems with mail-enabled folders. We kept one for antivirus alerts, logging, etc. and, all of a sudden, all the items disappeared when syncing with cached Outlook mode.

Have you thought of setting up the mail-enabled public folder again, testing the archive on the new folder, then manually moving the items from the old folder to the new one?

I know it makes no sense but when does anything like this make sense?!

Good luck,

gibjon

Comment

you cannot use the archive function to backup the public folders...

you can use a 3rd party app to do so... one example is Symantec Enterprise Vault. im sure there are others.

one caveat... all the users with items in the public folder must have a small client installed on their machine to be able to access the data stored in the 'vault'. they will have shortcuts to the 'vault' which is where the items are stored. the PF will contain the shortcuts...

afterwards, remember to defrag the PF to reclaim the space.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
          X