Exchange POP Account will not authenticate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange POP Account will not authenticate

I am using Exchange 2003 and am hosting many accounts that all are capable of OWA, Exchange mail, and POP3. My email account works just fiine with Outlook 2003 through Exchange email account settings. But if I go to a command prompt and try to telnet to my server at port 110, my username and password will not authenticate. I get "ERR Login failure: unknown user name or bad password." I am the administrator on the server and I have reset my password. I can telnet and successfully log in using other accounts in the active directory. I checked my active directory account and under "Exchange Features" and I see POP3 is enabled for my account.

What should I check next?

Re: Exchange POP Account will not authenticate

Make sure that the pre-Windows 2000 login name and the Exchange Alias are the same. If they are not, then POP3 won't authenticate the user.

Comment

dont feel bad... neither can i. i have never set up the admin account with email though, so...

i just tried, but no luck. i can logon under my name, but i cannot with admin...

Code:
      +OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 POP3 server version 6.5.7638.1 (KAPPA.nonyabiz.com) ready.
      user haynesjc
      +OK
      pass nonyabiz
      +OK User successfully logged on.
      and as the admin...

Code:
      +OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 POP3 server version 6.5.7638.1 (KAPPA.nonyabiz.com) ready.
      user administrator
      +OK
      pass nonyabiz
      -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
      user administrator
      +OK
      pass nonyabiz
      -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
      and still cannot get in. ill create an address and inbox i suppose...
      after creating a mailbox and an email addy, i get a new message...
      Code:
      user administrator
      +OK
      pass nonyabiz
      -ERR The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist.
      so i guess you shouldnt use the admin account to test POP3 email... hahah!

can you just use your account instead of the admin? ill google some... maybe there is a builtin restriction on the admin account or something, kind like ESX wont let root telnet for security reasons. you have to specifically grant root SSH and telnet...
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

They are the same. I wish that was it.

Comment

Sorry to confuse you. I am a member of the administrators group but I am using my personal account to try and login. My personal account is the one that does not work. As I said, all the other accounts work accept for my account.

Comment

Is the POP3 protocol enabled on your user object?

Comment

I checked my active directory account and under "Exchange Features" and I see POP3 is enabled for my account.

Comment

Working...
              X