Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messages delivered to SMTP V-server don't arrive in message store

Hi all,

I'm having a peculiar problem where messages are being delivered to the SMTP server (ie. they appear in the log) but some of them do not arrive in the message store (they are neither delivered nor show up in the message tracking log).

It's happening only for some emails. It's fairly consistent for whom it is happening for (why couldn't it be for for the spams?)

I had a brightmail filter that was receiving messages, filtering and forwarding them to the exchange box. I initially figured there was something wrong there b/c I could see the messages coming in the smtp log there and not getting forwarded despite the fact the the emails were whitelisted. So at great expense and trouble I've removed this box from the architecture and am now sending messages directly to the exchange 2003 box (I'm now using limited filtering provided by my ISP and all mail is coming thru the ISP). The odd thing is that the same thing appears to be happening on the exchange box!

Below is derived from the smtp log on the exchange server. it has one that goes thru and the other doesn't. The only difference i see is the lack of a DATA line in the failed one. I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot it.

Code:
    TIMESTAMP				REMOTE SERVER	INTERNAL		SMTP STUFF			DATA SENT/RECIEVE
    This one works
    2007-12-20 22:09:10 cluster1.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX HELO - +cluster1.myisp.com 55 21 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:11  cluster1.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX MAIL - +FROM:<[email protected]> 43 30 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:11  cluster1.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX RCPT- +TO:<[email protected]> 43 40 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:11  cluster1.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX DATA - +<[email protected]> 116 3200 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:11  cluster1.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX QUIT - cluster1.myisp.com 74 4 - -
    Doesn't work
    2007-12-20 22:09:32  cluster2.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX HELO - +cluster2.myisp.com 54 21 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:32  cluster2.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX MAIL - +FROM:<[email protected]> 43 30 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:32  cluster2.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX RCPT - +TO:<[email protected]> 39 36 - -
    2007-12-20 22:09:32  cluster2.myisp.com 10.10.10.XXX QUIT - cluster2.myisp.com 46 4 - -
    Any help is much appreciated.

Soj

I might add that this setup has been working for years. We switched our firewall appliance about the time this started happening. I can't figure how that would come into play here especially since mail is coming through. But the timing is there and it's the only thing that's changed TMK so I thought I'd mention it.

Re: Messages delivered to SMTP V-server don't arrive in message store

Add the sc-status logging to the SMTP VS so you'll be able to see what was the server's reply.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Messages delivered to SMTP V-server don't arrive in message store

Thanks Daniel for the quick response.

To address your advice:

I didn't have that option enabled on the logs of the exchange server but have enabled it going forward. I did however have it enabled for the spam filter when it was in operation. The response it gave was 250 for the helo, mail and rcpt. 240 for the quit. Normal right? This to me means that the smtp server is not puking or otherwise not operating normally.

What I found out:

It WAS the firewall. The new device, being of great sophistication and complexity, dropping some smtp data. It does packet inspection. Turned it off and lo! It works! That's about all I know about it at this point.

I'm putting my spam filter back in place now

Thanks again,
      Eric

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X