exchange server 2003 clearing the log files question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange server 2003 clearing the log files question

can i safely clear out all the log files in the event viewer?
    i have 10k in the application log right now and want to delete all log files.
    ===========================
    i have exchange 2003 service pack2
    server 2003 service pack2

i run veritas 10 with exchange being backedup daily. it is set to flush the logs...
    ===========================

Re: exchange server 2003 clearing the log files question

Are you referring to the Application Event Log or the Exchange transaction logs or the message tracking logs?

Comment

If you're referring to your event logs I would export them in case you need to look at them later.

The Exchange transaction log files should not be cleared manually.
      CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

To add on what the others said: If you're using an Exchange-aware backup software then it should purge the logfiles by itself after performing the backup. Perhaps you're not using the backup software in the right way? Note you must backup the ENTIRE Information Store in order for the logfiles to be purged. Backing up just one store won't do it.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks for your responses:

i am using backup exec with the flush logs... and this is working ok.

i am concerned about the amount of general log files in the event logs under administrative tools/event viewer. i have over 10k in the application/system/.

i was thinking that backup exec would clear these out, but it looks like backup exec just clears out the "transaction log" (whereever that is?) and not the event viewer log files.

so if i backup the log files in the event viewer and my save them somewhere for future reference and my backup exec is flushing the transaction logs ok then I am in good shape?

Thanks in advance for more information. this is the best site for exchange/server 2003. without referring to some of your articles i could not have built this exchange server and been able to manage it in 07.

Comment

You can clear the eventviewer safetly however you can review the properties of each log and configure them.
            Somewhere in the middle of this document you can find how to configure it.
            http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...vent-Logs.html

Transaction logs are quite important
            This document describes why the transaction logs never should be deleted but purged by the backup softeware
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124452.aspx

If a database suddenly stops, cached changes are not lost just because the memory cache was destroyed. On restart of the database, Exchange scans the log files, and reconstructs and applies any changes not yet written to the database file. This process is called replaying log files. The database is structured so that Exchange can determine whether any operation in any log file has already been applied to the database, needs to be applied to the database, or does not belong to the database.
            This has nothing to do with exchange so topic should be moved.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X