Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting remote outlook to exchange server issue

this is pretty crazee

have been running W2K3EE with E2K3EE for about 2 yrs. It serves 10 users all remote with laptops - i set up the server and everyones' laptop. outlook 2003 (on laptops (xp pro sp2)) connects via the internet to this server which is assigned static public IP and also its own DNS server. also had to edit the hosts file on the laptops to resolve the public ip to the FQDN. Been working great....

had to reload my laptop and have been unable to set up my outlook the same way for about the past week and been troubleshooting all sorts of stuff...of course i could use pop/imap4/or RPC over HTTP but being the dork i am i want to find out why i can't get it to work the same way i had it set up.

basically when i attempt to configure my profile in outlook i type in the public ip and my logon name and it is resolved (after "check name") to the FQDN. I can intermittenly choose the drop down menu for default mail delivery location and set to Mailbox - Me. However when i launch outlook i am told my default set of folders could not be found.

i have tried with both chached/non-cached and set for automatic connection settings blah blah blah

based on some ping tests i have been trying with data it looks like based on our pretty pathetic connection at the facility i can only ping with 1200 bytes of data with a 75% success rate. So i am thinking/wondering if the initial setup of the account needs to happen on the LAN because that requires a higher amount of data transfer than we can support remotely.....

i don't know i am confused by now - i don't think its dns because all email is working, we use OWA all day, the other users use their laptops fine, and the three websites we have running here are all resolving properly.

sorry for long post - just looking for other ideas outside the box

Re: interesting remote outlook to exchange server issue

Hi,

You yourself answered it. For outlook to work properly MTU of 1472 bytes should be allowed.

Get the MTU issus fixed. Outlook problem should be resolved automatically.

Just have a look at this:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=20055

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

yer the man - THX!

Comment

Just to add...

Basically in such cases, issue happens with DS-ACCESS not with exchange and you know when we access exchange through outlook then outlook client also establish a DS-ACCESS connection and will cause issues because of MTU size.

That is why if you will try OWA that will work because you are just making a connection on HTTP with exchange and exchange talks to AD.

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
        X