OWA w/o SSL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA w/o SSL

Right now I am using OWA without SSL and obviously everything works great.

I'm debating whether I should implement SSL with forms-basted auth. We have some smartphones and blackberrys - and from what I read, these might have problems.

Any opinions out there?

Re: OWA w/o SSL

hfctpl

If you want to install a certificate authority.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/..._OWA_2003.html

and the headache that comes with it you can follow the instructions at the website mentioned above.

HTH
    gaaq

Comment

$12.88 for an SSL certificate.
      http://www.namecheap.com/learn/other...rtificates.asp

I bought one from there and it works great. I needed it because I wanted to sync a bunch of Nokia N95's with Outlook. The phones worked anyway apart from them moaning about the certificate every 5 minutes. Resolved that after buying the above. Cheapest place I found on the net.

We don't use forms by the way. I too read that you will hit issues when attempting to sync mobile devices when using forms based authentication.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

So you are using SSL w/o FBA?

Comment

Yes without.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

our smartphones and blackberrys check for email every 1 minute - will this cause a problem?

Comment

I don't see why they should. Besides arn't smartphones using Direct Push (2003 SP2)?

How are the blackberrys configured? POP3, IMAP or BES?

Comment

pop for the blackberry's.

Comment

Are the smartphones doing a full sync then? IE contacts, tasks, calendars and emails?

Comment

Yeah, syncing all.

Comment

Been running Exchange 2003 SP2 with Forms-based authentication with OWA & SSL without any issues for the past 2 years. ActiveSync via smartphones & pocketpc's is an easy setup with users up in about 5 minutes.

There are a number of links to assist with any errors.

Here are a few:

http://www.petri.com/configuring_for...hange_2003.htm
                      http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=1379

Comment

Did you purchase a SSL?

If I buy one for 2 years - how do I know when it expires? What happens if it expires and I didn't renew? I'm a little confused with the process...

Comment

If you buy one for two years, it expires in... two years.
                          I think if you don't renew the device browsing will look at the expiry date and flag it to the user. Much like the warning when it see's a self signed certificate.

Comment

If I buy one - is this something I load on the server?

Comment

Working...
                            X