Handling large attachments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling large attachments

We are getting larger and larger email attachments coming through to our users mailboxes. When they get them through they are being emailed around the firm for different people to see/print, etc....

We already use Enterprise Vault to archive month old emails, so I'm not worried about that, but I would like a way to limit people sending around these emails with large attachments.

Does anyone know of a product/or solution, where say when an email with a large attachment comes in, it is stored somewhere seperately, and a shortcut to that email is then forwarded on to the users. That way only the shortcut makes its way around the firm rather that the original 80MB email. I've thought of something along the lines of Sharepoint, but not sure.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Re: Handling large attachments

jackson
    stoneblower

You are asking several questions here:

"but I would like a way to limit people sending around these emails with large attachments."

Look at the following website to answer this question:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;322679

2nd question:

"Does anyone know of a product/or solution, where say when an email with a large attachment comes in, it is stored somewhere seperately, and a shortcut to that email is then forwarded on to the users. "

Here is a product that may fit your needs, I have not used it but heard that it is pretty good.

http://www.interwoven.com/components...SITE::PROFSERV

As far as answering your final question:

" That way only the shortcut makes its way around the firm rather that the original 80MB email. I've thought of something along the lines of Sharepoint, but not sure."

Exchange 2003 has a feature called Single Instance Storage. Here is how it works:
    1. An email is created or recieved by usera that includes an attachment.
    2. Usera sends this email to userb, userc, userd.
    3. In the Exchange database, this message and attachment only exists once. All the recipients have pointers to the message and attachment. When the last user deletes the message then the message will be deleted from the database.
    4. However when Exchange calculates mailbox usages for each user, It looks like each mailbox has a copy of the message and attachments.

NOTE: The above only applies in the case of a single Exchange server with a single mailbox store.

Hope this helps.
    gaaq

Comment

Re: Handling large attachments

Thanks for your prompt answer. I looked at the MS article, but I don't want to restrict the use of large emails, just control them a bit better. I looked at the link you sent for the Interwoven product, and this looks like the sort of thing we need (although not cheap), so thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X