Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple OWA/Exchange problems

Hi everyone,

I have very little experience with Exchange/OWA and Windows Server 2003 SP2 but we've inherited a few boxes and are experimenting with rolling it out but nothing appears to be going smoothly.

The network layout is quite simple, one PDC and one Exchange box. Both are running W2k3 SP2 with all the latest patches.

The problem I am having is primarily with Exchange (hence why I posted here) but I suspect the problem may be AD related but I didn't want to cross post.

At the moment we have three users configured under AD, imaginatively called test1, 2 and 3. All of them (AFAICT) share exactly the same properties (members of same groups etc).

If I try to log on from http://test.exchange.local/exchange using test1 it refuses to accept the credentials (either in test1 or exchange/test1 format).

User test2 will accept the credentials but gives me a page not found error

User test3 works perfectly.

Adding a user4 leads to the same errors as user1.

I realise there may be more relevant information that you need to help me diagnose this but since I don't know what that might be, I thought it would be better to wait until you asked before I pasted loads of irrelevant and useless information.

Can someone please help - I'm pulling my hair out here

Many thanks and kind regards

PS. If this is in fact AD related (since it appears to be per user) can someone please tell me how to close/move this to the correct forum - TIA

Re: Multiple OWA/Exchange problems

Hi,

Try the following options:

Send a test mail from test3 to these users and try opening the mailbox. While providing the credentials in the below format:

user anme: [email protected]
    passwordxxx

Let us know the resut.

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
      Hi,

Try the following options:

Send a test mail from test3 to these users and try opening the mailbox. While providing the credentials in the below format:

user anme: [email protected]
      passwordxxx

Let us know the resut.

Regards,
      Please excuse my ignorance here - but could you clarify what you mean by 'opening the mailbox'?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry if was not able to make myself clear. I mean to say "Try to logon to OWA".

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
          Sorry if was not able to make myself clear. I mean to say "Try to logon to OWA".

It is really not your fault at all - my inexperience with this is definitely the cause.

I sent the emails as requested. I got one bounceback from user2 (the page not found one) saying :
          Code:
          Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. 

Subject: Test email 
          Sent: 12/4/2007 3:16 PM 

The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 

test2 on 12/4/2007 3:16 PM
            A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.
          Amazingly it has fixed the problem for user1 - thank you so very much!!!! Do you know what/how/why it fixed it - in case I am ever in this situation again (worse perhaps - no user can log in?).

Any clues on how to fix user2 now?

Once again - many thanks for your help so far!

ETA : After some further testing I notice that new users when added (test4 and 5) do not have their credentials accepted until I get a 'good' user (test3 or test1 now) to send them a message.
          Last edited by -=bb=-; 5th December 2007, 10:11. Reason: To add further info

Comment

Hi,

I am not very sure why it happens like this but I had also faced the same in past. And all got fixed after applying SP3 to Exchange 2000 and SP2 to Exchange 2003.

*** I am talking about Exchange SP not the Windows SP.

Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Kapil,

Thank you very much anyway for the time you have taken so far. At least I have progressed a lot further than where I was yesterday and thanks to you I still have some hair left

Kindest regards

Comment

Working...
              X