Who to dissable SMTP address?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to dissable SMTP address?

I'm looking for an easy way to disable users that quit the company, and especially their e-mail.
    So I need some hints or help to setup a gp that could just remove their SMTP address for each profile that is a member of said gp. Dont know if this is possible, but it sure would be nice and sweet!

So far I have tested a few scripts and who-to with out any success.

Ah, and its a Exchange 6.5

Re: Who to dissable SMTP address?

When you disable the user account in ADUC, I think it should prevent those email addresses from working as well.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thats what I thought too, but I can still find users who quit in the Global address book. And mail them. With out any error messages.

So I was hoping it would be possible to make a policy/-group that would remove the SMTP address all together.

Comment

Are you sure you can still email them? TBH this is something I have never even thought of trying.

When a user leaves our company we disable their account and hide them from the GAL for a set period of time before deleteing their account.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

How do you hide them from GAL? Im a noob at this so, please, bear with me.

What I have done up to now is move the user to a "left company" OU and Grp. And then disabled the user acc. But still I can send them mail.
          And I have removed the SMTP (or all instances of @mail.address) in 2 users profile (with ADSI Edit) whos gonne. That worked 100%!

The problem is that there have been poor spam control (I'v just taken over here) and the mailboxes for users who are not here anymore have crown to large. So to stop that from happening I want to disable all mail for them. Also quite a few have auto reply on. So I dont want them to send mail out either.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kanon View Post
            There should be an iption within the users account in Active Directory Users and Computers (Use the ADUC snap-in from the exchange server to see the extra exchange tabs unless you have the exchange management console on your workstation)

You could always export the mailboxes of all users who have left to a .pst file using exmerge and then delete their account? Just another option.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Kanon View Post
              Right click on the user, select Properties, on the Exchange Advanced tab, there is a tick box "Hide from Exchange Address Lists".

As to the rest, I'll think more about that as I am puzzled!
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                Right click on the user, select Properties, on the Exchange Advanced tab, there is a tick box "Hide from Exchange Address Lists".
                That worked. Now I can't see them so they can be added that easily. Bu I can still send them mail.

I have to look in to the exmerge solution. It might be a solution I can live with for the moment.
                Last edited by Kanon; 5th December 2007, 12:02. Reason: typo

Comment

Well, I can help with exmerge if you have not used it before, setting the permissions can be tricky, so I have made some notes which I'll share with you to help out. I've tested these notes out several times on different servers, but only on single servers (like SBS boxes):

Using Exmerge, you can export all mailboxes, calendar notes etc. from Exchange into pst files and then merge the data back into another installation of Exchange. You must take the following steps:

Export Notes:
                  • Run exmerge.exe which you downloaded and it will extract it's files. Copy all the files for Exmerge into the /bin directory under your Exchsrvr directory, i.e. C:\Program Files\ExchSrvr\Bin
                  • In Active Directory Users and Computers, Click the Advanced Features option from the View menu.
                  • Create a new user who will be the Exmerge administrator but do not create an Exchange mailbox for that user - call the user "exmerge" and give a strong password
                  • Add "exmerge" to be a member of the following groups:
                  • Administrators (not Domain Admins. To give read/write access to the correct Windows files and folders needed for exmerge.exe to run)
                  • Exchange Domain Servers and
                  • Exchange Enterprise Servers (to give Receive As permissions on the all of the Information stores, both private and public)
                  • For each of the Information Stores in Exchange System Manager, (e.g. First Storage Group) right click and on the Security tab give the user Exmerge at least "Receive As" permissions.
                  • Right click exmerge.exe and select Run As... and enter the credentials of the user "exmerge".

Scheduling Exmerge:

Use the command as follows (Recommended):

Code:
                  "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\ExMerge.exe" -B -D
                  If you ned to specify the location of the ini file, use the command as follows, assuming the INI file is in C:\EXMERGEDATA\

Code:
                  "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\ExMerge.exe" -F C:\EXMERGEDATA\EXMERGE.INI -B -D
                  Notes:

Use the -k switch to skip over minor errors
                  Troubleshooting:

if you see the error: "Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (MAPI_E_EXTENDED_ERROR) (CMapiSession::CreateEMSPSTProfile)" then you have not run the Exmerge program as the special user that has the correct rights over the mailbox. Remember to right click Exmerge.exe and select Run As...
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.

Comment

Thanks, I was just having a look at it now.

Comment

Just noticed one thing.. Since I put all users who quit in one group I can remove all of their e-mail addresses (Exchange task..). Does this mean that the mail it self will be deleted? Or just the address?

Comment

Working...
                      X