Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change the IP address that Exchange server listens on

Hi all,
    I've installed Exchange server 2003 on a windows 2003 server. The server has several NICs (Ethernet card). Eache ethernet card has several differrent IP address.
    I want to config the Exchange server to listen on only one definite IP address. Is it possible and if yes, how to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Duck

your exchange server should only be getting mail through one IP anyway. What ever address you've set up with an external DNS, etc. is going to be the one that mail comes in on.
    We have 3 NIC's in our exchange server here, but I just end up disabling the other two. It's not an ISA server so it doesn't need the extra NIC's. One is all you need and as long as that has an external address on a firewall that is held on external DNS and as long as the external address is translating to an internal address (which is the same as the MX record) the mail should come in.

Comment

I agree, but I would also like to remind of the fact that each virtual server (HTTP, SMTP and so on) can be configured to listen on all IPs, or on a specific IP. As long as you're dealing with HTTP, SMTP and so on, it could be a valid option.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply!
        I haven't use exchange for a long time since it was 'Exchange 5'. Therefore I've got many strange behaviour from exchange 2003. For example, when a user check his/her mail on exchange (2003) server, he/she saw mails in his/her inbox ON THE SERVER. But just seconds later, all of them are move to his/her PERSONAL FOLDER on his/her PC? Nothing left on server. How to let their mails still be in the server?
        Thank you.
        Duck

Comment

Sorry for my question!
          In this case, it seems that my Outlook's malfunction. I've removed and reinstall outlook, then it works well!

By the way, Do you know how to cache all in/out mails and store them somewhere for further checking?

Thank you very much.
          Duck

Comment

You can configure the MBX store to also archive all messages into a public folder or to another mailbox on the server, then have the PF checked and delete the old items with the item retention property.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you very much for your help and sorry for replying late.
              I have one more question would like to ask:
              To change the default storage folder for my Exchange server, I've modified a new path in items "Exchange database" and "Exchange streaming database" in the tab "Database" in "Mailbox Store (<hostname>) Properties".
              After many mails are delivered, from Exchange System Manager, I found that the size of mailboxs are increased. But the size of folder that I've tryed to store mailboxs does not increase.
              What is my mistake? Where are the mails stored?

Thak you,
              Duck

Comment

It's possible tha the DB has a lot of free space in it, so now, after moving the DB, the new mail items are just filling the empty space inside. To make sure, check for event ids 1221 in the Application log.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
                  There is somewhat like this:
                  "The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (PDC)" has 1 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated. "
                  is it the one you've mentioned ?
                  It seems strange for me :-p. So it would be OK when all "emty space" are full filled? May you give me a further explanation ?

Best regards,
                  Duck

Comment

Working...
                  X