No announcement yet.

Physical move of Exchange 2003 server to new AD site

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical move of Exchange 2003 server to new AD site

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am moving an Exchange 2003 server to a new physical location which is also a different AD site with a defined subnet.

I plan to:

- change A record to new IP and change pointer record to match. so Outlook clients can still find the server
    - adjust MX to point to new IP.

Are there any Sites and Services items I need to consider before doing this? I am concerned that I will find a serious issue after I have moved the server (across Canada) and not get mail flowing right away. This is a crude method of moving and I am hoping that the travel time to be the only downtime.

If anyone thinks of any details I may need to be aware of, or have obviously overlooked please let me know. I have been searching the web over and over and this entire move process is not sitting well with me.

Thanks again for your time.

Re: Physical move of Exchange 2003 server to new AD site

Remember to give the (external) MX record about 48 hours to propagate across the internet -- best to set it up early with a lower priority, then when the old location goes off line, messages should automatically be pointed at the new MX record. Once the change is done, you can delete the old record and raise the priority of the new one.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **