• Show
Clear All

• Unable to Telnet to Exchange Server

Windows 2003 SBS Server
    (Exchange 2003 SP2)
    Server has been fully updated
    Billion 7402R2 Modem/Router

When I Telnet the mail server internally I get a connection:

220 domain2.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.3959 ready at Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:25:42 +1100
    When I Telnet the mailserver from an external location this is returned:

C:\>telnet domain2.com 25
    Connecting To domain2.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed
    Disable firewall on the router and it also retuns the above Connect failed message.

However a test for an Open Relay retuns this:

Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for anonymous test ...
    <<< 220 domain2.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.3959 ready at Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:17:52 +1100
    >>> HELO www.abuse.net
    <<< 250 domain2.com Hello [208.31.42.77]

Relay test 1
    The router is set with port forwarding to the mailserver. I know the settings are correct because they are identical to the same model router on Domain1 and Telnet on this works from any location. ShieldsUp also reads port 25 as OPEN. Domain1 is not an SBS server.

The server and the router have been rebooted several times. There is no firewall running on the server.

Anybody got any ideas on why port 25 is not being kind to me and my mail? (and yes it may need to be moved to the SBS Forum)
    Last edited by biggles77; 25th November 2007, 06:54. Reason: Additional info
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Unable to Telnet to Exchange Server

SOLVED. Should have seen this earlier but I didn't.

There was an entry in a DNS Zone Manager that had the wrong IP for Domain2. Found the problem by Telnetting the IP of the mailserver and not the FQDN. Then it was a matter of checking where all DNS entries were located, made a little worse by my ISP changing the Static IP of Domain1.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

However, we'de appreciate it if you could grant some reputation points to the user that helped you. Just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt.

Oh, it's you. Damn. I'll just give you some rep points.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Unable to Telnet to Exchange Server

I guess I have to share my sheep with you now.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X