No announcement yet.

What Method to Add 2nd EXCH 2003 server to new tree ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Method to Add 2nd EXCH 2003 server to new tree ?

Hi, We have a single forest and single domain & one exchange 2003 server. DC's are 2003 and in native mode. We have the need to separate our network, They are two different buildings connected over a wan( high bandwith. The other building is a different business and really needs a separate domain and not just a different OI. I created a new domain in the forest and installed a new exchange server in the new domain. I picked the option during the install to add an additional server, Now the new exchange server appears in the same administrative group as the first exchange server. I noticed that I can't create a separate recipient policy for the new server. I know I can add another policy and use filtering but I need to know if I should of picked the" install first server "option for the second exchange server in the new domain, would that put it into its own site. Also we would like the Global address book to show users from both domains, it does with my current install. Need some insight into exchange and multiple domains. In case the wan is down I want both exchange server to still function. The smtp domain names are different for both companies, but they are the same owners thats why they want the GAL to show names from both domains, would making separate sites break that feature. How should I proceed, I wanted to ask before I start over. I guess I don't understand org's and sites completely.

Thank You

Remember that all Exchange servers that are part of the same AD forest are also a part of the same Organization. It can't work in any other way. The same GAL, same Org, same all.

You can, however, create a new administrative group and install the second server in it (only during the installation, it cannot be done later). Also create a different routing group and place it in the second administrative group.

Administrative groups effect administration and delegation, routing groups controll traffic and message restrictions.

As for the GAL, you can, if you want, create different GALs for each domain.

If there's anything else you need I suggest reading the excellent Exchange Deployment documentation found on the installation CD.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services