Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to STOP Exchange 2003 server from accepting e-mails for domains other than my own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to STOP Exchange 2003 server from accepting e-mails for domains other than my own

Hi
    I followed the procedure How do I configure my Exchange 2000/2003 server to accept e-mails for domains other than my own? so that I could collect mail for our sister company. This worked fine. What I would like to know is how to UNDO this procedure so that Exchange STOPS collecting mail for the other domain.

I recently installed an SBS Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 which collects our mail @xyzA.co.nz . Exchange forwards outgoing mail to our ISPs smtp server.
    Users at our sister company are members of our domain, but they use a different email domain @xyzB.co.nz. I removed the other domain from the default recipient policy, applied the policy, re-ran the RUS, and had my ISP remove the MX record from their DNS. Now Exchange no longer collects external mail, but it still collects internal mail; i.e., mail that I send from Exchange to [email protected] still ends up in xs Exchange mailbox. How do I get Exchange to forward out over the internet where the mail can be collected remotely by x via his Outlook pop3 client?

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Cliff Hall

Re: How to STOP Exchange 2003 server from accepting e-mails for domains other than my

Cliff,

Next time please post in the correct forum. Somehow I dont think the "Wall of Fame" forum relates ro your problem.

Reported to admins to move.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: How to STOP Exchange 2003 server from accepting e-mails for domains other than my

Thread moved.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi there, I am having a stab in the dark here, just wondering, did you create another zone in your DNS records on the windows 2003 server? If you did, then a MX record may still exist, pointing to your mail server for the sister company domain. It seems to be an internal issue with your configuration rather than a external issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jewen

Comment

Exchange does not use MX records, DNS, or Recipient Policy to deliver internal email, it uses AD information. If these users have accounts in your AD domain then you need to remove the external email addresses from their user account properties. When you send an email to them using their external domain name Exchange will query AD for mail-enabled objects with that email address and deliver it internally.

Comment

Surely if the sister domain has been removed from the default recipient policy and been updated this would then be reflected in the users properties in Active Directory. Sometimes it takes some time to reflect these changes but normally eventually they will take place. Therefore the users of the sister domain should then only have the default domain email addresses allocated to them if the default policy has been applied.

However saying that, It would be wise, as advised to see what email settings are currently being applied to the users of the sister domain.

Regards,

Jewen.

Comment

Theory and reality are often two different things. The only way to know for sure is to check the user account properties.

Comment

First, thanks for all the replies, and sorry for delay in reply. Thanks for moving the thread too.

No I did not set up MX records for the sister company.

I removed [email protected] email addresses from their user account properties. I just double-checked and the external addresses are still gone from their user account properties.

Yet when internal mail is sent to [email protected], it still goes to the Exchange mailbox. I am using a work-around at the moment where the sister company's Outlook clients are collecting the mail from Exchange via POP3 until I can figure out how to stop it going there.

Regards,
                Cliff

Comment

Working...
                X