Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Setup with smoothwall

Hi

i have a domain hosted by my isp mydomain.com, i want to run my own mail server using exchange and smoothwall as the firewall.

as i understand i can point my mx record to my smoothwall and then forward smtp to my exchange server which does not have a public ip,

when i setup AD must my domain that i create also be mydomain.com or can i use mydomain.local and set exchange to receive mail on mydomain.com?

Thank you

Re: Exchange Setup with smoothwall

Originally posted by jcputter View Post
    as i understand i can point my mx record to my smoothwall and then forward smtp to my exchange server which does not have a public ip
    You should create an A host record to point to your smoothwall and then point your MX record to the A host record

Originally posted by jcputter View Post
    when i setup AD must my domain that i create also be mydomain.com or can i use mydomain.local and set exchange to receive mail on mydomain.com?
    You should use mydomain.local or mydomain.internal (I use mydomain.internal because apparently .local is used by some firewall products which can cause issues)

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

[QUOTE=m80arm;86290]You should create an A host record to point to your smoothwall and then point your MX record to the A host record

you lost me here ,sorry. must my isp create an mx record that points to my smoothwall? then i create A host record that point to my smootwall?, my server does not have a public ip (smootwall has a public IP) ,is that ok? must the A host record point to the external interface or internal interface of smootwall?

Comment

If your ISP are setting up your MX record then they will take care of the A host record.

Basically it goes like this:

MX points to A host which points to public IP address (External Interface of your smootwall).

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank You

now i must get a way to protect exchange from spam.

Comment

Working...
          X