Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary and Secondary MX

Hi,

I am to deliver a high email availability solution for a customer of mine.

The customer is hosting their mail internally on Exchange 2003. The primary MX is pointing to this exchange server.

However, I am thinking of adding a Secondary MX. One that points to an external POP server. This is done so that if the primary MX goes down, the clients can still POP their emails from the secondary MX.

Does anyone think this is actually possible ? or is there a major loophole in this plan ?

Thanks

Re: Primary and Secondary MX

Do you have any money to spend on this project? If so, I would recommend a solution like DoubleTake from NSI Software.

Comment

Hey,

No. Working on a limited budget. It's a small business that can't afford to spend too much at the moment.

Comment

You can subscribe to a service that will act as a backup mail exchanger, The lower priorty (higher number) MX record points to them. If your mail server goes down, then all email starts to collect at the second MX record. Once your server comes back online, they redirect all collected email back to your server. You will not have to reconfigure anything in your environment just add that MX record.
        Cost $30/yr per domain.

I have no affiliation, just satisfied, but i recommend Mail rescue from DNS park
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Just to add a little more about a POP solution; When your mail server comes back you will have to migrate all the email that went through a separate server. Its not a big deal, but if you have a lot of users it can turn into a major headache.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

What I'm planning to do is have two accounts in outlook. One for Exchange and another for the POP server.

All mail will set to be delivered to the Exchange Mailbox rather than a personal folder.

When the Exchange server goes down, all users will change their POP account to be the default and start POP-ing from the Secondary MX.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks

Comment

I suppose that could work, in essence you will be running two mail servers.
              How many users?
              Is sending email as critical as receiving all emails?

From experience its the ISP connection that fails most often, in that case POP would not help anyway......

Comment

Receiving is more crucial.There are about 20 users. Good point about the ISP connection though.

I guess this will be helpful when the exchange database has to be taken offline.

Comment

Working...
                X