Restoring public folders from Symantec 11d backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring public folders from Symantec 11d backup

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll drop it here and shoot out my question...

I finally have my back up solution in place. A Dell RD1000 with 14 80 GB cartridges that are rotated daily. I'm backing up my first storage group which includes all mail boxes and public folders.

The problem I'm having is that my Vice President micromanages and she can't leave well enough alone. We have email addresses attached to certain public folders and she goes in and delete's any spam mail that happens to find it's way in there. Here's the deal though, twice within the last month, she's deleted the entire folder. So now, I have permissions set to where she can't do anything without consulting me first and then I do what she needs done.

The back up solution I was using (EMC Retrospect 7.5) [email protected] out on me and only backed up 4 days out of 30 even though it was telling me I was getting good back ups and data was being placed on my back up drive.

So, my question is this... Now that I am using Symantec 11d, will I be able to restore individual public folders from those back up sets?

Thanks again.
    My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Re: Restoring public folders from Symantec 11d backup

You cannot restore individual Public Folders (and items) if you are using the GRT functionallity to back up Exchange. You can restore individual Public Folders (and items) if you are using the Legacy backup method. You can also restore a deleted PF (and items) from Deleted Items Recovery as long as you restore it before the deleted items retention time on the PF Store has not expired.

Note: If you restore a mail-enabled PF from Deleted Items Recovery it will be restored as "Public Folder Name (Recovered)" and you will have to recreate the email address(es) on the folder.

Comment

Re: Restoring public folders from Symantec 11d backup

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      You cannot restore individual Public Folders (and items) if you are using the GRT functionallity to back up Exchange. You can restore individual Public Folders (and items) if you are using the Legacy backup method. You can also restore a deleted PF (and items) from Deleted Items Recovery as long as you restore it before the deleted items retention time on the PF Store has not expired.

Note: If you restore a mail-enabled PF from Deleted Items Recovery it will be restored as "Public Folder Name (Recovered)" and you will have to recreate the email address(es) on the folder.
      Absolutley brilliant... Thank you so much for the reply. I hate to sound like an idiot, but I'm still learning. This is trememndous advice.

Thanks again!
      My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Comment

Working...
      X