• Show
Clear All

• Delay Delivery Status Notifications recommendation

Hello all

i received the following email from one of my users:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:05 AM
    To: Doerr, Chris
    Subject: FW: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)

Hi Chris,
    I believe a twelve-hour attempt cycle is too long to be of any use to email users. I expect to know within one hour whether a message has been successfully sent. Please change this setting! Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:47 PM
    To: Haslam, Mark
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

[email protected]

Now, my user is sort of conflating 2 seperate things here. Our retries are set to 10 minutes and I suspect that my user thinks we only retry every 12 hours. but, we do have the delay notification set to 12 hours (default setting if i recall). i found MS kb247129 that states:

In Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, messages that are held in the queue for TURN/ETRN/ATRN may cause Delay Delivery Status Notifications (DSNs) to be generated. This behavior occurs when a connection closes and a specific time period elapses. The situation can become critical for environments where most of the outbound mail is queued. The Delay DSNs add to the queue lengths, and you may lose control of the server's state because of the large number of messages.

This behavior can occur if the Delay Notification time is set too low.

Ensure that the Outbound Delay Notification setting is high enough. The default is 12 hours.......

and goes on to explain how to set it.

My question is this: Has anyone set a time that is less than the 12 hour default?

I'm afraid that if i set it to say, an hour, all of my users will start to see tons of these messages. I'm going to recommend that my user take advantage of the delivery recepits if the timelyness is so important, but i still would like to know what others have experienced.

Re: Delay Delivery Status Notifications recommendation

I hate when users think they know how things should work. The next thing he'll tell you is "this is unacceptable. I expect you to call Microsoft and get this bug fixed. At my last job we didn't have any problems like this". (implying that you and your team are idiots and obviously don't know what you're doing).

He is confusing delivery receipts with delivery status notifications. If you can find a way to explain the difference to him, good luck. I would not recommend changing the default setting as MS has it this way for a reason. A shorter time interval may cause email not to be delivered due to connectivity issues, busy email servers, etc.

Re: Delay Delivery Status Notifications recommendation

i tend to think you are right about leaving the default as is. and, i have a feeling that other posters would come to the same since even the KB article warns of setting the number too low. i'll post my "diplomatic" message to the user if it actually helps.